Sign in to follow this  

why does my kx85 bog? VIDEO INSIDE

even after being fully warmed up, my kx85 bogs off idle. its a 2003 and fully rebuilt, less than 4 hours on the motor. the rest of the description is in the video, i just want to know why it wont idle properly when the choke is off, and how i can fix that. fuel screw turned out 1.5 turns

pull the carb and re clean it!! you have some thing dirty in it also what mix are you running and what plug and gap!!need more info

pull the carb and re clean it!! you have some thing dirty in it also what mix are you running and what plug and gap!!need more info

the carb is as clean as a carb can get. both inside and out i sprayed everything with carb cleaner; slide, main and pilot jets, all the holes, ect. my mix is 30:1 using bel-ray hr1. 93 octane pump gas. the plug is an ngk b9es. i didnt think i would have to re-gap the plug the way it came but its torqued nice and tight into the cylinder head.

the carb is as clean as a carb can get. both inside and out i sprayed everything with carb cleaner; slide, main and pilot jets, all the holes, ect. my mix is 30:1 using bel-ray hr1. 93 octane pump gas. the plug is an ngk b9es. i didnt think i would have to re-gap the plug the way it came but its torqued nice and tight into the cylinder head.

yes you need to always gap new plugs i would do that 1st i set mine at abput 32 and new ones are all way tight also check the kips alinment??

yes you need to always gap new plugs i would do that 1st i set mine at abput 32 and new ones are all way tight also check the kips alinment??

ive never had to gap any plug for any bike ive owned and theyve all ran clean but this bike...the kips is cleaned and aligned...the black thing on the right side of the cylinder that moves back and forward...well its connected to the arm that turns it properly and it does move forward when the bike is reved and moves back after settling down so the kips works perfectly. im pretty sure the the carb needs to be re-jetted but i dont know where to start. jetting is stock, clip in mid position on the needle.

ive never had to gap any plug for any bike ive owned and theyve all ran clean but this bike...the kips is cleaned and aligned...the black thing on the right side of the cylinder that moves back and forward...well its connected to the arm that turns it properly and it does move forward when the bike is reved and moves back after settling down so the kips works perfectly. im pretty sure the the carb needs to be re-jetted but i dont know where to start. jetting is stock, clip in mid position on the needle.

you need to ride it. revving it like that isnt the greatest thing to be doing in the first place and means nothing anyway. go ride it and tell us what it does. if its cleared out and warmed up, it shouldnt be smoking like that. it would indicate you are rich or burning tranny oil or something

like i ALREADY SAID START BY GAPING THE PLUG just try it it might be all you need ? and I have only got a hand full of plugs that where close and all we run in the 2-65, 2-85 , 2-50 ,and one 150 we got though alot of plugs normaly after we race and some time after practice and most of the time they look good but if you have ever lost a race do to a jacked up plug the 2 bucks is cheap. and they all need to be gaped

Bikes arnt jetted to idle. Its loaded up and needs to be cleared out. My bike did the same thing after the top end was rebuilt. Rode it (sugish in first and second) then cleared up after going through the gears. then jet accordingly. Bring jets with you where you ride and see where you are with jettig wise

you need to ride it. revving it like that isnt the greatest thing to be doing in the first place and means nothing anyway. go ride it and tell us what it does. if its cleared out and warmed up, it shouldnt be smoking like that. it would indicate you are rich or burning tranny oil or something

i have been riding it plenty today (banging through all the gears in huge open field). after it is warmed up and cleared out, ill look behind at the exhaust. doesnt matter if im in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th gear i can still see excessive smoke (from the exhuast) and im running gas that was bought today and the best 2 cycle oil money can buy...i guess im running rich, but maybe its just acting lean on the pilot jet. which leads me clueless for were to start on swapping brass.

forgot to mention, the bike runs awesome when your on the throttle. the mid through top transition pulls hard and clean without hesitation. bottom end power is ample, clean, and how it should be (the pro circuit pipe took some of this away, but added top end power). but my only concern is how the motor acts funny when the throttle is fully closed, which obviously affects they way it idles. my 02 kx65 doesnt have this problem at all, and neither does my friends 2004 rm85.

might be a crank seal leak?

yeah ive got all the signs of a crank seal that is going. which side of the motor is it located on? do i have to split the case to change it or can i just remove the entire clutch or the stator to get to it? thanks guys i appreciate the help

KX 85 crank seals, you have to split the cases. I mentioned earlier in another thread to find that air leak.

yeah ive got all the signs of a crank seal that is going. which side of the motor is it located on? do i have to split the case to change it or can i just remove the entire clutch or the stator to get to it? thanks guys i appreciate the help

that would be my guess, have to split cases

My sons kx85 does that when cold...pilot is a tad lean. the stock jetting is lean on the pilot and rich on the main..for most. wich is what i would do if i was kawasaki as well based on they dont know what type of rider is buying the bike....also bad reeds will make a bike bog off idle...as well as water in the carb...the carb size is on the big size for the motor so off idle response is always gonna be less than responsive.

its not your plug that would show up under a load or high revs.

the bike was running before the video i only put the choke on to keep it idling while i turn on the camera. the bike was rode right before the video down the field a couple times so the motor was not cold at all. today i checked the amount of tranny oil through the site glass after riding it today and it hasnt gone down at all. infact ive noticed most kx85 run like this after watching youtube videos. my reeds are in great shape they are the stock black carbon fiber reeds there is not fraying what so ever and they are lined up perfectly. so now im thinking its normal for my bike to have off idle response like this, and not having a crank seal leak, because my bike has been running like this ever since the first start after the rebuild.

also i took notice that my off idle response is worse the more the motor is warm, because its cleared out. ill just mess with the clip positioning and buy some pilot and main jets, if they dont help then too bad ill just leave everything the way it is.