Jump to content

Bouncing Avon Distanzia on XR650L rim


Recommended Posts

I just bought a set of Avon Distanzia's for my XR650L (stock rims). I'm running heavy duty tubes in them and for the life of me, can't get the front tire to sit "correctly" on the wheel.

I had the tires mounted from a shop nearby and got them back on the bike for a quick test drive. I noticed immediately the front was hopping all over the place. I pulled it back off and noticed that one section on both sides of the wheel (not in the same exact spot on both sides, but close) didn't seem to be seated correctly on the rim. I've tried deflating, resoaping the bead, and reinflating but it's not working....

What am I doing wrong and any ideas how to correct this? I don't have a set of spoons at the moment and want to test these tires out asap!

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah its right at the bead. I pulled the valve stem and broke the bead all around and aired it back up. No luck. Seems to get hung up on the same spot.

Sometimes they just can't get the bead to set correctly on a given wheel. they "should" have told you about it and recommended getting a replacement tire (manufacturing defect is possible). I had a front like that, I'd had the tire for awhile so couldn't exchange it. The spot the bead didn't go down was about an inch long.

I ran the pressure up and down several times over the course of a couple of weeks as I thought about it. Bouncing and rolling the tire around the garage for a minute when I changed the pressure. Eventually if 'slid down' and seated properly. I might have just been lucky, but it's worth a try. I pumped it as high as 65psi. All this was off the bike. Shop did not recommend riding on it as it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. I've been messing it throughout the day. I have it sitting outside in the sun right now hoping it'll soften the tire up some. One side seems to have set in properly but I have about an inch or so on the other side where it's not quite there. I can't tell you how many times I've aired up/down but I seem to be making progress. From the way it looks now, I may not even notice it, but I'm trying hit all angles before calling rocky mountain to come pick it up. I have a Mefo Explorer I can drop back on the front if needed but I'd really like to get this avon working. I've been doing some more research and it looks like others have had this same issue so I know it's fixable, just have to figure out what fix works. Airing it up and banging the hell out of it on the ground (sideways) seems to help, as abusive as it sounds...

To be continued...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All is well. I left it out in the heat for a few hours (only 70 or so here today), deflated it, wd-40'd a small section that needed the help and filled it up to about 70psi. It slowly moved into place (never making a popping sound).

Threw it back on the bike, spun it a few times and it looked good. Took it for a quick test drive and it seems to ride nicely. Didn't want to get too crazy on 'em just yet, need to scuff 'em up a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same exact problem, took tires sitting next to fire place, a tie down holding the high side low so the other side would "pop" into place and dish soap. It took me a day of wrestling with it too. I havn't had a problem since then. Ive put around 3k mile on my Avon Distanzias and absolutely love them. Glad you got em on, you be happy with em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...