Sign in to follow this  

What kind of mods does my chunky butt need?

Well, not my butt per say but a DRZ 400.

I'm looking at a couple of bikes, one bone stock and the other with hot cams, fmf pipe and the airbox mod done.

Forks are pretty stiff he says.

Here's the thing, I'm around 5-10 and weigh 350LBS and I can't ride werf a $hit.

Chances are that for quite some time, I'll ride like Miss Daisy. I will likely NEVER jump this thing.

Hell, I didn't jump anything when I was 25, at 50 and 350LBS, I don't see that changing.

Also, I'm a bit of a pu**y so consider that.

I can get a bone stock bike with less than 800 miles (2007) and a modded one with and fmf pipe, hot cams, mcct, skid plate and bark busters and a few other things done to it and around 2500 miles for the same price and this is also a 2007.

Yeah, I know most people here will go for the modded one but my question is, do I NEED the mods or not? He says the engine mods made a big difference but again, consider that Miss Daisy was my driving teacher.

Opinions and pros and cons please and for gods sake people, keep it simple. I am NOT good at this.

Thanks

George

Maybe you need to lose some weight and that will be the best mod you can do

Hmm, if I wanted someone to point out the obvious, I would have stayed married.

The purpose of the bike is just that, to hopefully get me out and do something...

Anyone else wants to give it a shot?

• Like 1

You're asking a 35-40hp bike to carry 350+lbs. My guess is the modded bike will carry you a little better.

Or... buy larger capacity motorcycle.

Or... spend the rest of this year riding a bicycle. THEN buy a DRZ.

It handles me and I weigh more than he does. I would go with the modded bike, it will help on 55mph plus roads.

I would definitely have the suspension resprung and revalved.

Hey TT'ers. if you are not over 350 then you have no idea how the DRZ will perform for some one that size so kindly stifle yourself. If he wanted advice on losing weight he would be in Richard Simmons' site not TT!

I swear I will come over to Japan and smackya!

LOL!

Betcha l can run faster than you (^_-)

Fair enough, though. Sorry for poking fun. Whichever bike you choose, l am sure you will enjoy it!

I'd say get the modded one as long I you think it was done right. That would be my $.02 for a 180# guy or you.

Goebz, there you go! 👍

Flywalker, betcha I can get a bike and catch up with yo ass and by the way, it's all good.

Goebz. Weren't you like 6-4, 6-8 or something like that or was that a British guy?

I seem to remember someone from the fat thread being huge.

George

you know,if the drz s/sm comes equiped with 2 sets of foot pegs to enable two riders of average weight,i think it will handle a solo heavy rider like george just fine.

i say get the low mile bike and see how it goes from there.when you get hooked on riding it and feel the need for more power turn to tt for more advice on how to do it.

So, you're saying to get it despite the 1500 or so in upgrades on the other one?

That was my thinking so I could just do some mods myself but I'm not comfortable with any engine mods.

Damn, I wish things were easy but man, I have no idea what I'm doing...hmm

Damn, I wish things were easy but man, I have no idea what I'm doing...hmm

👍 Get one man. Steer clear of the rocks and keeper tween the ditches! Unless that's where ya wanna go! Oh... and ride man, ride! 🤣

I would go with a DRZ that has at least the 3x3 airbox mod and removal of all emissions control crap, then, but not necessary, perhaps a high flow header and exhaust, maybe high flow carb or jet kit. I'm sure you'd be ok with stock, but the 3x3 and jet kits pays the highest returns in hp gains/$ spent. You'll find many step by step threats here on TT - probably more on www.SuperMotoJunkie.com. Then you may (probably) need to replace the rear suspension spring and the fork suspension springs with something stiffer. You can find those at www.racetech.com. Renazco Racing can modify your seat to suit your weight and inseam. There is also a lowering link available, but I'm not sure you'll need that.

I had a DRZ 400S and I'm 6'2" 225lbs and never had a problem riding with my 100lb son on the back. You won't win any races, but you'll still make out fine. You might consider a KTM 950 SE, SM or ADV as well.

When you're looking at moded DRZ's remember that the bike has probably been ridden moderately hard compared to something still in its break-in period. I would be inclined to go with the stock bike. Good luck!

Hmm, if I wanted someone to point out the obvious, I would have stayed married.

The purpose of the bike is just that, to hopefully get me out and do something...

Anyone else wants to give it a shot?

for a big fat f$#@ing p#ssy, I give you credit for trying to swing that leg of beef over a seat and try to pull the clutch in with those big bratwurst freakin fingers. Seriously, you'll have to rejet the carb or better yet install 2 carbs for your butt. titanium tire tubes, cause youll need em. you'll have to stock up on fork and shock seals and springs. buy a few skid guards, every time you ride you can pull one off and have it rewelded. triple forks and bar clamps are going to be under extreme tensile stress every time you blip the throttle and try to hold on. Oh, and the poor seat, oh never mind. 👍🙂

for real, dont talk down on yourself. 3x3, carb, and exhaust. the suspension will be fine for what you wanna do. just get out there and have some fun = good therapy. LOL man! 🤣

guiri

didn't you ask this same question 2 years ago?

so you still have not bot a bike by this time

well my ancer will be ---- get off the coutch and by a bike

Any bike is better than no bike.

You do not "need" any extra horsepower.

Just buy something and start riding.

👍 Get one man. Steer clear of the rocks and keeper tween the ditches! Unless that's where ya wanna go! Oh... and ride man, ride! 🤣

I'm gittin' ther brother Jeb, I'm gittin' ther...

for a big fat f$#@ing p#ssy, I give you credit for trying to swing that leg of beef over a seat and try to pull the clutch in with those big bratwurst freakin fingers. Seriously, you'll have to rejet the carb or better yet install 2 carbs for your butt. titanium tire tubes, cause youll need em. you'll have to stock up on fork and shock seals and springs. buy a few skid guards, every time you ride you can pull one off and have it rewelded. triple forks and bar clamps are going to be under extreme tensile stress every time you blip the throttle and try to hold on. Oh, and the poor seat, oh never mind. 🤣:applause:

for real, dont talk down on yourself. 3x3, carb, and exhaust. the suspension will be fine for what you wanna do. just get out there and have some fun = good therapy. LOL man! 🙂

Are you SURE this'll be enough...I have my doubts! :jawdrop:

At this point, I'm trying to determine WHICH bike to buy and you F**kers aren't helping 👍

Any bike is better than no bike.

You do not "need" any extra horsepower.

Just buy something and start riding.

So, I'm good with the brand new bike too then?