Sign in to follow this  

1972 Kawasaki G4TR

Hi Lads,

I purchased this ol' girl over the winter and got it fired up a couple of days ago after a little tickling and tweaking.I can't figure out the hi/low range gearbox though.....does anyone know how this operates? Do I shift from stop or on the fly? This bike didn't come with a user manual and I'm having a heck of a time finding anything online.How does it operate? Other than that,she runs great and goes through the gears well.....not real pretty to look at mind you,but runs great.....OrangeKawasaki.jpg

Edited by Airoyster
no picture

If it is like the one I had back in the early 70's there will be a small lever near the gearshift lever. If I remember right it is under the shifter. Change it when the engine is off and you are sitting still. Fun little bike and yours looks to be in nice shape. I had a blast on mine. In the low range it will go REALLY slow. Like a tractor.

I have a '74 that I converted into a trials bike.

You should stop before shifting between HI and LOW range.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It has a lever mounted on the handlebar next to the throttle.Once the lever is pushed forward,it locks into position.To disengage it,you push a black button on the underside of the lever and it flicks back automatically. It's likely that it's stuck in the high range mode because there isn't any gearing difference when engaged.The cable could be broken also I suppose.I really haven't messed with it that much. The bike as you see it is original.The paint is faded,rims are rusty,tires cracked etc...,all the stuff you would expect from a neglected old trail bike.The only plus side is that it runs really well.Just about everything besides the engine needs attention.It looks much better in the picture.I'm a bit of a sucker for nifty gadgets,and the dual range tranny tweaked my interest.I'm just trying to decide if I should restore it,run it as is,or sell it to somebody else to use as a cottage bike.The dual range sure is a neat option though.......

Where abouts are you located in Ontario?

I could be interested in it...if the price is right.

PM me.

Gee,thanks for taking it upon yourself to post my ad on the forum......

We do it all the time here....