Sign in to follow this  

bike wont start after washing it

my bike was running perfect all day at the track today

after getting home i washed the bike and put plugs in the exhaust before doing so, now it wont start. did the same thing a month ago and i had to kick it about 1,000 times before it would start. i checked the filter and spark plug and everything is fine. has this happened to anyone? any help is appreciated. im out of ideas. its an 06 crf250 btw. never had any problems

Check electrical. May have exposed wire?

I agree sounds electrical, check all of your ground wires, and look for exposed cables

like this:

Picture067-2.jpg

looked for exposed wires and cables and couldnt find any. is there anything else that it could be?

yeah i pulled the plugs out

Sorry, I figured that you did, but I had to ask. Pull apart all electrical connections, air dry, and dielectric grease them all before putting them back together. That's if you haven't already done that. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it will have properly protected connections. You might try draining some fuel thru the carb.

After I wash, I almost always have to use the choke to get it to start. Are you sure it isn't something simple?

I agree with all the others - check your electrical connections. I had a problem with my KTM that turned out to be some corroded connecters. Go over every connection, clean what you can, and use dielectric grease when reconnecting them.

Basically what everyone else has said, i would check for electrical problems, not doubting you that you checked, but just saying.

Make sure theres not anywhere water could have gotten in the exhaust and check for those exposed cables.

Maybe try some starter fluid to see if it even runs?

me and my dad went over all the electrical wiring, checked the kill switch, checked the spark plug, and everything looked good. im out of ideas?? doesnt even sound like it wants to start

Did you check the plug to see if it is sparking good?

You didn't get water into the airbox and through the intake did you?

Your fuel line turned on?

yah plug is sparking good, taped up the holes by the airfilter before washing, and fuels turned on. i tried with choke, no choke, and hot start. nothing seems to wanna work

Bump start? If that won't start it up. Check for a spark at the plug. Let us know if you have a spark and we'll go from there.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

tried bump/roll starting it several times down my street but wouldnt start. sounded like it would but would die within half a second. yah it has a good spark. we tested it a few times. drained the float bowl too but that didnt help either

Turn your idle screw up and write down how much you turned it up so you can put it back if it doesn't work. Try the trick with dumping your lower end from what I posted above. Did that do it?

Next thing is the check the air and gas. You have gas in the tank? Fuel line is turned on? I'd download the service manual for your bike and start working through the carburetor trouble shooting steps. Leave it out in the sun for a day? Strange.