Sign in to follow this  

Modified Cee Bailey's Windscreen

Sorry for the long post boys, but for months I debated whether or not to add a windscreen to my XRL. Windscreens are a very personal thing, especially if they are not a stock part. I’m sure many share the same feelings I do in that one of the most alluring features of our pigs is that they look rugged in stock form. From a practicality standpoint, however, wind blast on the body can be a bitch when riding on the highway at speed for any length of time, and at the end of the day I needed something to keep the wind blast down for those brief stretches of highway riding while at the same time trying not to have my bike look like a Goldwing. So I’ve been searching for the perfect compromise of form and function.

After reading many mixed reviews and comments on all of the available aftermarket windscreens for the XRL, I decided on the Cee Bailey’s but with the specific intention of further cutting it to my own liking. The original Cee Bailey’s screen in my opinion is good function over form and is probably a great choice if you tend to do daily highway commuting and need maximum continuous protection. I just wasn’t crazy about the full size of it. Looks like an Egyptian pharaoh. For my ideal type of riding, I try to stay off the highway and stick to back county roads and off-road as much as possible. However, I find completely avoiding highways impossible and need some level of wind protection, even if minimal. I figured the original Cee Bailey’s screen was a good place to start and I could just mod it to my liking.

Right after I placed my order I called Cee Bailey’s and told them I was going to cut the screen and asked them how they recommend I do it, if at all. They said I could do it but did not recommend it and that if I did it would void any warranty. Then they were kind enough to offer to cut the screen for me and even ship it back to me at no cost. All I had to do was mark it up as to where I wanted it cut and pay to ship it to them. Perfect!

So, from the following pics, you can see the original marked up screen mounted to my headlight shroud and then the final product as it now looks on my bike.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the results. My bike doesn’t look like I just joined the California Highway Patrol, yet it still gives the necessary protection from windblast when on the highway. For what it’s worth, I ride with a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet (which I love) and so any wind that is deflected from the screen does get pushed up to my helmet, but it is minimal and much more improved and acceptable than having the wind blasting against the torso with no shield at all.

If anyone is interested, when Cee Bailey’s received my marked up screen, the guy I was dealing with – Joe, said that he really liked my design and would see if they could offer it as a “sport” version as an alternative to their original larger design.

IMG_8289JPG2.jpg

IMG_8305JPG2.jpg

IMG_8306JPG2.jpg

IMG_8314JPG2.jpg

IMG_8315JPG2.jpg

wow that thing looks great, i may have to look into this, i do alot of highway riding so i was thinking about getting the kind that clip on the bars but this is really nice. 👍

windsheild looks great! I have the turbo city sheild and I wish it were a little smaller too. What kind of hand guards are they? love em

Excellent design. Just what I'm looking for. do you have any idea if they kept a copy of your design? I'd like to call them and order the XR650L Sport model for my R.

Well done!

Excellent design. Just what I'm looking for. do you have any idea if they kept a copy of your design? I'd like to call them and order the XR650L Sport model for my R.

Well done!

Scocam,

Give Cee Bailey's a call on Monday and ask to speak with Joe. He's the one who cut my shield and said that he really liked the design and would try to have it offered as a "sport" version as an alternative to their original shield. He was very helpful and a real pleasure to deal with. Tell him that you're looking for the same screen design that he recently did for the guy from NJ and he should know what you're referring to. I emailed him some pics of my shield bolted up so he can see what it looks like.

wow that thing looks great, i may have to look into this, i do alot of highway riding so i was thinking about getting the kind that clip on the bars but this is really nice. 👍

I too considered the Maier shield that attaches to the handlebars, but then I read a few incidents of the shield cracking near the bolt holes so I decided against it. The Cee Bailey's is a really durable shield. I think the company is actually one of only a few that is certified to manufacture aircraft windshields. You can tell that the material is high quality and has an excellent finish. The second advantage is that it mounts right to the headlight shroud and is a very clean design. I was reluctant at first because I wasn't sure of the strength of this type of mounting, but it is not an issue at all. All that is needed to drill four holes into the headlight shroud and the screen attaches using four stainless allen bolts withtwo hard rubber spacers used for the top bolts. Again, it is a very clean but solid design.

I highway tested the screen at speeds of 70-75 mph and I did not notice any type of head shake at all.

They need to put you on R&D... that is a really clean look! I've never been a fan of either the stock headlight or the aftermarket windscreens, but here you combine the two and it looks awesome. Go figure.

Which item from CB's did you buy? Looks about as nice as a windscreen can on a dirt bike.

They need to put you on R&D... that is a really clean look! I've never been a fan of either the stock headlight or the aftermarket windscreens, but here you combine the two and it looks awesome. Go figure.

Thanks, TNR. That's exactly what I was after - to get the best of both form and function, and I think I achieved that compromise. I really have to hand it to Cee Bailey's for offering to do the work for me and coming up with the finished product. They are top notch.

Which item from CB's did you buy? Looks about as nice as a windscreen can on a dirt bike.

Here is the webpage for Cee Bailey's XR650L screen: http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/xr650lws.html

As you can see, the pic from their site is exactly the same as mine above with my markings. I encourage anyone who likes my design to call Joe at Cee Bailey's and express their interest as this can only prompt them to offer the new design as an alternative to their stock design.

Update:

After I started this original thread (and another identical one on ADVrider) Cee Bailey's started getting enough calls with interest on the new design that they decided to offer it as a super sport version to their original screen. That's nice to hear.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/xr650lws.html

I am not affiliated with Cee Bailey's in any way other than being a customer.

Captain----REALLY nice!.It's awesome when a company identifies an improvement/alternative that they can capitalize on and the public can benefit from!.🤣👍

To me it's beyond flattery---no,I'm not just blowing crud up the captains "skirt"(not infering anything there Capt.).A well known and trusted company is taken by YOUR design to offer it as part of THERE lineup---that's BIG---something too look back on someday!!!.🤣👍🤣