Sign in to follow this  

Anyone recognize this Pipe??

I bought a super clean very low hour 2006 YZ250. Is bone stock except for an FMF pipe and silencer. The Silencer is a Titainium 2 but I'm not sure what the pipe is . . . .

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

Any ideas??

I need a better close up of the header...stock pipe is double walled here.

It may be an FMF just painted then retabbed

It looks like a FMF factory fatty painted to stop the rust on the bare metal pipe.

X2 That's what i think it is as well. A painted factory fatty.

Yep, I think it's a panted factory fatty...now go strip that paint off and get it naked like it wants to be!!!

haha, that picture is funny. i guess they painted it and realized it no longer looked like an fmf, lol

Yep, I think it's a panted factory fatty...now go strip that paint off and get it naked like it wants to be!!!

Yep striped the paint last night but looks like shet underneath. . . .

pipe5.jpg

Took it to work this am and gonna try beadblasting and oiling it. I'll post a picture when i finish.

We run that pipe , and its a keeper for sure. ( factory fatty on a 03 125).

#1 "factory " pipes are thinner , and plain finnish . Quite a pain , and you will smell of WD40 the rest of your life ( from wiping it down)

Interesting Note :

Instead of painting a pipe like this ,, some have used "gun Blue" with several coats with good results. Of coarse after a real good cleaning.

I thought this was an interesting alternative.

good luck , 24hrsparkey

We run that pipe , and its a keeper for sure. ( factory fatty on a 03 125).

#1 "factory " pipes are thinner , and plain finnish . Quite a pain , and you will smell of WD40 the rest of your life ( from wiping it down)

Interesting Note :

Instead of painting a pipe like this ,, some have used "gun Blue" with several coats with good results. Of coarse after a real good cleaning.

I thought this was an interesting alternative.

good luck , 24hrsparkey

Gun Blue??? Really? I wonder which brand ans there are so many of them available.

I wonder if it offers any protection from rust? The non coated pipes never bothered me and are reasonable to take care of, except those hidden areas. If you let it go 4-5 rides and ignore the hidden spots, the rust grows like crazy.

Thanks for the tip as it sounds fun!

The paint on "gun blue" avalible at Walmart. That right there is damn Funny and sad at the same time ,, and yes i'm sure it would be avalible at other stores. Wheew , i still say thats funny........... i digress.

I would guess some rust protection , some.

I have always dreamed of a gold chromate or rainbowish gold irrodite finnish on a plain finnish racing pipe. We have run allot of factory plain pipes like Doma and such ,, and i now smell of WD40 permanate. I think its also effected my speeling , or maybe its the fuel we run .

Yep striped the paint last night but looks like shet underneath. . . .

pipe5.jpg

Took it to work this am and gonna try beadblasting and oiling it. I'll post a picture when i finish.

dang, looks pretty bad. sure you didnt spill a bit of freckle juice on that?

There are lots of different types of gun blue. I used some runny stuff that was cheap for an old revolver and it gave it only a light light tinge. If there is any oil at all on the metal, it will show up and stain. It will actually look just like the old colt navy and army revolvers from the factory back in 1860.

I have been told, but have not tried, from quite a few people that there are blues that are rather thick like gel that you paint on and leave for a while, some you bake in an oven, and they give a very nice dark look.

It helps with rust but does not eliminate the chances of getting it like nickel plating, chrome plating, or stainless steel does.

You will still have to wipe it down with oil after to keep it looking nice.

Looks better. I still like using the scotch brite pad and wd40 to keep the heat marks from the welding, but that's just me. Hope it works well for ya!