Sign in to follow this  

Don't wait 4 years like I did.

For pre-2008 owners: get 22mm offset triple clamps!

Now I can take those flat, dry corners with ease.

No under-steer. Lighter turning.

I should have done it 4 years ago.

I also should have had my suspension done by AS Racing 3 years ago, when I first had it done by ESP.

What a difference! I can ride a gear higher NO problem, and the bike stays planted.

Hell, I can even scrub a little now.

I mean on jumps, not my hygiene.

DSCN7418.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

Before the changes, but mostly looked the same

DSCN7420.jpg

Now I just have to ride at night, to try out the Airtime HD lighting !!!

DSCN7419.jpg

DSCN7412.jpg

Edited by Krannie

My bank account damns you, lol...

Suspension is something I need to attend to, and OldMan gave me some great info a few months back that I should act on.

Any good resources for the clamps?

My bank account damns you, lol...

Suspension is something I need to attend to, and OldMan gave me some great info a few months back that I should act on.

Any good resources for the clamps?

I saved for years, to do a complete motor rebuild and upgrade, suspension upgrade, etc. Now I have a practially new bike, for about 1/4 the cost.

I saved for years, to do a complete motor rebuild and upgrade, suspension upgrade, etc. Now I have a practially new bike, for about 1/4 the cost.

...and a fairly custom setup, at that. Hard to beat. 👍

I plan on removing/pressing my own stem (freezer/oven method). How'd you do yours?

I got a great deal on my 07, so I should just bite the bullet and do it. I see the BRP setup (Scotts submount) will run about $450 with shipping.

BRP Upper & Lower Triple Clamp Set 02-07 CRF 250/450 X Model (22mm Offset) BRP Upper & Lower Triple Clamp Set 02-07 CRF 250/450 X Model (22mm Offset)

- Bar Clamp Style e) SUB Mount

- Bar Mount Height 1.240" 31.5mm Stock

- Bar Mount Option Rubber Mount Only

- Bar Position "RTS" 11mm

- Handlebar Size 1 1/8" Oversize

- Make Bike HONDA

- Model Bike CRF-X

- Model Size 450cc

- Model Year 2007

- Steering Stem Option None

- Triple Clamp Hardware
🤣
Headlight Mounts Only

- Triple Clamp Offset b: 22mm

...and a fairly custom setup, at that. Hard to beat. 👍

I plan on removing/pressing my own stem (freezer/oven method). How'd you do yours?

I got a great deal on my 07, so I should just bite the bullet and do it. I see the BRP setup (Scotts submount) will run about $450 with shipping.

BRP Upper & Lower Triple Clamp Set 02-07 CRF 250/450 X Model (22mm Offset) BRP Upper & Lower Triple Clamp Set 02-07 CRF 250/450 X Model (22mm Offset)

- Bar Clamp Style e) SUB Mount

- Bar Mount Height 1.240" 31.5mm Stock

- Bar Mount Option Rubber Mount Only

- Bar Position "RTS" 11mm

- Handlebar Size 1 1/8" Oversize

- Make Bike HONDA

- Model Bike CRF-X

- Model Size 450cc

- Model Year 2007

- Steering Stem Option None

- Triple Clamp Hardware
🤣
Headlight Mounts Only

- Triple Clamp Offset b: 22mm

I went with BRP because of the good compatability with their bar risers and the scotts damper. I bought a full set with the stem, and sold the stock parts on ebay.

Would a Recluse E-axle do the same thing?

It did wonders for my pumpkin.

Would a Recluse E-axle do the same thing?

It did wonders for my pumpkin.

I read in Dirt Bike, I think, that its more of a temp fix for testing purposes to see what offset works best.

I am running Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards which I love, but come with their own top and lower clamps (Fatbars in my case).

What are my options on changing to 22mm triple clamps???

The change to the steering was one of my main reasons for buying an ’08. The ‘07s were only $100 less. I knew I would never get around to doing the 22mm offset mod. (plus I’m kind of a tight wad) I don’t think I’m completely used to the new bike yet but I sure like how it turns on tight trails. I have a tendency to over steer on flat corners. I thought my 450r turned fine until I got my new bike.

I thought my 450r turned fine until I got my new bike.

Yep, no doubt...for $100 difference, there was only one choice, plus its a model-year newer. (doen't matter much to me, but it does come re-sale time to others)

What offset is your R?

Nice, Krannie! I believe the investments in your X are well worth it. Sweet looking bike! The 22mm offsets are nice no doubt and BRP's are top of the line. If I were going to do new triples I would not hesitate on BRP, Ride Engineering, or Applied. All great IME.

I would not hesitate on BRP, Ride Engineering, or Applied. All great IME.

Anyone got any helpful info on the best (or decent) deals? I am leaning toward the BRP due to the Scotts submount + riser capability, but am still tire-kicking.

Krannie,

How did you get that brake loop giude (don't know what its called) to mount to your lower clamp?

The BRP clamp provides you with a threaded boss for the factory part.

Anyone got any helpful info on the best (or decent) deals? I am leaning toward the BRP due to the Scotts submount + riser capability, but am still tire-kicking.

Applied, BRP, Scotts (which is brp) always have deals. Contact the TT store by phone and ask for deals.