Sign in to follow this  

Oil cooler installed

After looking at a couple other people adding one I decided to do the same. This oil cooler actually came off of a Buell and I bought it off eBay for 45 bucks with shipping. Some of you offroad fellas might not like the placement but I hardly ever take it offroad so it works for me. Instead of using expensive AN fittings I just used SAE fittings. Does the same thing at about a third the price. Sure it isn't pretty anodized aluminum but I don't remember this being a show bike. The hose is 3/8" transmission oil cooler line. Instead of trying to find the correct adapters I had a guy at a local Autoparts store take the fittings off the old hard tubing and place them on two new hard tubing lines and then place the correct fitting on each end essentially making an adapter.(if that makes any sense) Sorry don't have pictures of these. Before the cooler it got up to about 240 degrees when it was 50 outside so if it was 100 out that thing would be cookin. Haven't gone riding long enough to get after temps. Here's some pics.

4488432646_25d158d1f9.jpg

4487783531_aa75041756.jpg

4488432390_80f5d8bc74.jpg

4488431978_e4d9a5f0bd.jpg

Pretty nice work, the follow up report will be better. Stop and go traffic in 100 degree heat has got to be bad for these things.

Looks fine. Just dont tip over, it seems to be a little too exposed. You may try to relocate it just below the tank, same side, that way the tank would take the abuse and not the cooler.

Looks fine. Just dont tip over, it seems to be a little too exposed. You may try to relocate it just below the tank, same side, that way the tank would take the abuse and not the cooler.

I looked at putting it down there but the way the oil lines came out I couldn't get them past the header. And if I did lay it over it would probably only tear up the plastic wind scoop.

It's been a couple months since I did the install and I've gotten some long rides in. Before the cooler I was seeing oil temps of 270 degrees in 55 degree weather. With the cooler I have never seen above 214 in 85 or 90 degree weather and that was sitting in traffic for about 5 minutes after a long interstate run. Once I start rolling again it drops to around 195 to 200. Nice and toasty. The cooler raised oil capacity to about 3 quarts but you know how finicky these things are so I just put about 3 in and don't worry about it.

Pretty cool...keep it up and someday it will be as cool and reliable as a DR650.

it was going to touch the plastic. and i didnt want to melt anything. plus it was hard to run the hoses that way. i like the way it looks this way

Looks good, although I wouldn't trust those wings as a mounting point. I ate it in the woods on mine and ripped off the right wing. Just a word of caution!

Clean work though.

Actually, what might make a really good oil cooler is an aluminum skid plate. take some aluminum tubing, and form some coils in a way that doesnt interfere with the frame and mounts. Then silver solder it to the skid plate so it has good thermal contact.

I've been toying with the idea of putting heat sinks on the frame oil reservoir.