Need some help

Hey I was putting in my piston tonight and could not get my clips in. I bent one clip put it all together got all pissed at my self took the clips out threw them away. Now my question is I scrated up the piston a little bit on the side where the clips slide in and I scratched the groove where the clip sits am I screwed or what? Do I need a new piston? Yes I threw the clips away I'm so pissed at myself guys what did I do wrong?

Chris

how bad did you scratch it? i would guess that you probibly won't need a new piston (would need pics to be sure). i know what you mean though, they can be a real p.i.t.a. to get in.

i usually just hold it by one end with a needle nose, put the other end in the groove and just twist it in. make sure that you use your finger to hold it in while you twist.

C I did do that with my thumb and needle nose and instead of it twisting the clip itself bent instead of twisting I dont know what happened. And the scratches are like just marks surface marks no nicks or gouges. I will show my local dealer tomorrow.

Chris

No I didn't gouge the ring slot. I will have dealer look at it tomorrow. What is the trick that I'm missing here??????? Last year I did this job in 2 minutes this year this job porked me more money.

Chris

So basically stick the cip in round part first straight in like your going into the wrist pin then use your fingers somehow to twist it into the groove after it is already in the piston sort of right???? I'm trying my best here to comprehend that. So your saying you don't use any needle nose right? If I use needle nose should I use long skinny ones or should I use short stubby but still on the skinny side neele nose

Chris

The scratches wont hurt anything. The business end of the piston is above the rings. As long as you have not damaged the area north of the rings you are good. Make sure you are putting a clean rag or paper towel around the crank rod to block the case in case you drop one of the clips in the lower end...that would be bad.

Okay I got them in today what a pain. This is how I did it after I got new ones of course. I put one end in first, then I took the other end and stuck it in the groove too, after that i took my thumb puhed down at the 12 o clock part of the clip now mind you the open end of the clip is at 6 o clock so I used my thumb pushed the clip down and it snapped right in boom done. Thanks for all your help guys have a great season.

Chris

So basically stick the cip in round part first straight in like your going into the wrist pin then use your fingers somehow to twist it into the groove after it is already in the piston sort of right???? I'm trying my best here to comprehend that. So your saying you don't use any needle nose right? If I use needle nose should I use long skinny ones or should I use short stubby but still on the skinny side neele nose

Chris

Thats what im sayin.