patching a tube??

I tried my first tire install yesterday. I finally got my tubes in from TT which took almost 2 weeks not to happy with that but anyway I wanted to mount up the Motoz tires on my new DNA rims. The rear went fairly well being it was my first time doing MX tires. Had a hard time getting the bead to pop all the way on but after filling it a couple times and useing lube it finally popped on. Now the front was a pain in the @#S couldnt get the last bit of tire on. and after I did aired it up and surprise it all leaked back out. I put a pinhole in it with the tire iron I guess. Went to local bike store and all they had was a regular tube. Not H/D like I ordered. next store is 50 miles away so I bought it and put it in. I want to know if I should patch the new tube with hole or throw it out??? And what about the regular tube??? Am I asking for trouble??

I tried my first tire install yesterday. I finally got my tubes in from TT which took almost 2 weeks not to happy with that but anyway I wanted to mount up the Motoz tires on my new DNA rims. The rear went fairly well being it was my first time doing MX tires. Had a hard time getting the bead to pop all the way on but after filling it a couple times and useing lube it finally popped on. Now the front was a pain in the @#S couldnt get the last bit of tire on. and after I did aired it up and surprise it all leaked back out. I put a pinhole in it with the tire iron I guess. Went to local bike store and all they had was a regular tube. Not H/D like I ordered. next store is 50 miles away so I bought it and put it in. I want to know if I should patch the new tube with hole or throw it out??? And what about the regular tube??? Am I asking for trouble??

Patch it. Use vulcanizing patches.

Use dish soap or wd40 on the last bead to go over the rim.

File down your tire irons so they are not sharp on the edges.

Leave the tire out in the sun for a few hours to get soft before mounting.

Use or make a tire stand, so you can get the proper angles/leverage to mount the tire.

I have pinched about a dozen tubes in my life time. Mounted about 75 tires that I did not pinch though............

thanks for the advice!! In did use soap and bougth motion pro aluminum irons . I think I took to deep of a bite at the rim lock and put the hole in it!! I want to make or get a stand seems it would sure help. But I also wanted to try doing it like I was out on the trail.

thanks for the advice!! In did use soap and bougth motion pro aluminum irons . I think I took to deep of a bite at the rim lock and put the hole in it!! I want to make or get a stand seems it would sure help. But I also wanted to try doing it like I was out on the trail.

I find it easier to change a tire out on the trial, cause the tire is much more pliable after riding on it.

KNOCK ON WOOD!

On this subject, do the tire changing jigs make a huge difference to changing tires. I am talking about the round steel frame type thing with the attached bead breaker. I would be interested to know if there is a definite market leader.

Also, I have just received distributors prices on all Motoz tires. I have ordered a set of pretty much all of the Tractionator models, and will post my findings shortly. Although in Spain, the conditions are pretty much similar to you Cali guys riding desert.

Oh, and by the way a good vulcanized patch will do fine. Why waste money on a new tube.

I always patch my tubes, until they can't be patched or the valve stem rips!

And I used to buy patches, bicycle patches! But now days I don't even buy them..

I cut up rubber patches out of a old tube, I use 80 grit sand paper to quickly scuff the back side of my "patch" and also scuff the area I'm going to patch..

Apply a good ammount of rubber cement, stick something heavy on it to hold the tube and patch together, then I let it dry at least a couple hours ?

I usually let it dry over night, and I always have a couple patched tubes laying around?

I don't know what your technique for changing tires, but for me, to help with pinching tubes.. I'd first put one side of the tire on, insert my tube and put the valve stem through the hole.. Then air up the tube just a little, not so it really has pressure, but enough to make the tube fill out inside the tire..

Then I spoon it on, and USUALLY the tire having air in it wont let it pinch as easily as a flat tube ?

I don't know what your technique for changing tires, but for me, to help with pinching tubes.. I'd first put one side of the tire on, insert my tube and put the valve stem through the hole.. Then air up the tube just a little, not so it really has pressure, but enough to make the tube fill out inside the tire..

Then I spoon it on, and USUALLY the tire having air in it wont let it pinch as easily as a flat tube ?

I put the air in the tube before it touches the rim. A good rule of thumb is get a bit of air in the tuber and suspend it on one finger. The tube should stay round, but crease where the finger is. This will really help in eliminating pinches.

Personally I dont think my tire chaning skills are up to changing one on the trail... After reading all the posts on tubliss, that seems like the way to go, then just carry a plug kit..

Here are accouple links that helped me with changing tires... The front is pretty easy, but I struggle with the back, makes me sick how easy these guys make it look.

I plan on going tubless some time this summer just ran out of funds!! With the new rims and tires, tube where affordable right now. My back was easy for me the front was really tight going on. I did air the tire a little like stated just got a little impatient and tried forcing it on the last little bit. I will patch the tube I screwed up for a spare. Really only took me about 10 minutes a tire not too bad for the first try I think plus I was being really carefull not to scratch the new black rims.

Lubeking I hope to try the new tires out this coming week going to hit the trails mid week and hope to have a report on my trip. They look pretty impressive hope they work as well as they look!!!

I plan on going tubless some time this summer just ran out of funds!! With the new rims and tires, tube where affordable right now. My back was easy for me the front was really tight going on. I did air the tire a little like stated just got a little impatient and tried forcing it on the last little bit. I will patch the tube I screwed up for a spare. Really only took me about 10 minutes a tire not too bad for the first try I think plus I was being really carefull not to scratch the new black rims.

Lubeking I hope to try the new tires out this coming week going to hit the trails mid week and hope to have a report on my trip. They look pretty impressive hope they work as well as they look!!!

What type of Motoz tires are you running???

I have just got my delivery of different tread and compounds today.

I cannot wait to get them on and see what goes.

The Desert HT looks a serious tire!!

Just out of interest, what are you Stateside guys paying for a Motoz rear??

I got the S/T for the front and the I/T for the rear cost me 145 for both delivered!!! I wanted to go riding to try them out but it has poured here half of yesterday and on and off today hopefully I can get out yet this week!!!

Plus you only need to lift one bead to get the tube out and put an new or patched one back in. ? TuBliss is the way to go anyway.

How exactly does the tubliss work? Looks kinda iffy to me. What about those balls that you put in the tires or the bib mouse?

I had flats all the dang time with my stock dunlop, the tire was just to light and thin. Then I went to maxxis desert IT and i do not get flats near as often.

Edited by slpcrf450x
adding

How exactly does the tubliss work? Looks kinda iffy to me.

It seals the tire to the rim, so you fill the tire up like a regular tubeless tire on a car or street bike..

Since there are spokes on dirt bikes, air would just leak out if you used a tubeless tire. The tubeless when filled with a lot of air pressure (like 100psi) squeezes tightly against the rim, and doesn't allow air to escape from the tire.

I think they are cool, I'd just rather spend my cash elsewhere. Especially since I don't think I've ever had a pinch flat, and I probably only spend $10-$25 at most on tubes a year ?

How exactly does the tubliss work? Looks kinda iffy to me. What about those balls that you put in the tires or the bib mouse?

I had flats all the dang time with my stock dunlop, the tire was just to light and thin. Then I went to maxxis desert IT and i do not get flats near as often.

I was the flat king. Seriously that's what the local guys called me. They run the mousse Bib setup.

Well I decided to go a different route and picked up the Tubliss setup. Please do a search on it as I can't tell you how great it is. I've run 2000 miles without a single flat. It does require checking the air pressure but its paid for itself in tubes. Love the setup and have been running it in desert with large mesquite thorns that poke through the tire. Slime seals it up every time. Also huge rock sections at high speed. Not a single pinch flat and no rim dingers. No flats in 2000 miles, I would have gone through about 5 front tubes and 2 rears on the old setup.

I was the flat king. Seriously that's what the local guys called me. They run the mousse Bib setup.

Well I decided to go a different route and picked up the Tubliss setup. Please do a search on it as I can't tell you how great it is. I've run 2000 miles without a single flat. It does require checking the air pressure but its paid for itself in tubes. Love the setup and have been running it in desert with large mesquite thorns that poke through the tire. Slime seals it up every time. Also huge rock sections at high speed. Not a single pinch flat and no rim dingers. No flats in 2000 miles, I would have gone through about 5 front tubes and 2 rears on the old setup.

I couldn't agree more. One thing about the TuBliss to consider is that even if you do get a flat the bike is still ridable because the bead will stay on the rim. I won't go with any other system now and dakynz knows for sure how skeptical I was at first. ??

I couldn't agree more. One thing about the TuBliss to consider is that even if you do get a flat the bike is still ridable because the bead will stay on the rim. I won't go with any other system now and dakynz knows for sure how skeptical I was at first. ?:applause:

its that old age... its hard to convince the old guys that something new can actually work better then all that experience they have accumulated ?

Totally joking, don't take that the wrong way. Reason I state this is I'm having the same debate with a local shop owner and trying to convince him to try the tubliss vs the mousse bib is like? however.... he did put one on about a week ago, but only on the front tire. I guess you can call that progress

It's true I'm pretty "old school" in many ways but I've learned to try and be an open minded skeptic especially when it comes to better ways of doing things on dirt bikes. It's hard work trying to keep up with you young guns and I need all the help I can get.:applause:????:jawdrop: