Sign in to follow this  

Can't decide, input please

Ok so right now I am riding a 01 DRZ-E that is very nicely kitted out (dirt bags and frame/super duper skid) with tons of extras in case of breakage (think I have 2 sets of clutches, whole stator, extra front and rear brake setup etc etc etc). I have to say I am not happy with the power/weight/suspension. Now keep in mind that I came from Husaberg 650 (stupid ridiculous dangerous power for me:bonk:), DR650 (Not enough suspension), CR250 and KX500 (don't want 2 smoke anymore) and KTM 400 (too tempermental and well might have just had a lemon). And I thought that DRZ 400E would be a good middle ground for me, and it is a really good bike, but I wonder if there is better.

What I want....a little more power.....not a ton more. A little lighter of a bike. Must be dual sport/able to be made dual sport. Want to have super moto capability....I know I will have to buy wheels/tires/rotor.

I am considering, one of couple of options.

Perfect world fuel injected Husqvarna TE450/510:banana:, Sherco 4.5/5.1:worthy:, or GasGas FSE450:ride:. Actually able to do....prob 05/06 Husqvarna TE450/510 maybe 05 GasGas FSE 450 other options with E-start (KTM 450EXC looks nice but so much service required as well as the Husaberg 450) due to the budget issues. I will need to sell the DRZ and kick in some funds to get what I want but I can't swing $7K for a new bike.

Other option would be to put 434 kit on the DRZ, Hot Cams, exhaust, SM wheels and tires and upgrade suspension. I figure this will cost me close to $2000 when it is all said and done.

Not to say that I won't be spending that on the other bike, but with another bike maybe just SM wheels/tires/rotor and not have to buy all the extras.

I don't know really what to do at this point. 👍 To say the least I am fickle with bikes. I go through them like water.

I would just like some more input.

Thank you for reading this and helping out.

Edited by drdfblackm

well, i'm probably gonna get shot down for this... but if you're interested in something new, why not try Aprilia? It's an italian vendor, and they have been doing street bikes for a while and finally got a couple enduros and dirt bikes (450 and 550)

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Models/20909/Offroad.aspx

The RXV is the DS, the MXV is the MX bike, and the SXV is the SuMo

I have had Aprilia street bikes before, no problem with them. The RXV is out of my budget...I am looking to stay below $3700. Nothing wrong with the RXV for me, I really like them. Just can't afford them.

Thanks

I have been told by a gasgas rider not to go below 06 or they suck and have problems. Ktm wouldnt be bad as long as it has been maintained.

My first choice would be my Husky that I own now. Insane in the bush, very decent on the road even stock, nothing sumo. I imagine with a sumo kit it would rip. Plenty of people over in the Husky forum and cafehusky use the 450/510 and both.

You could probably find a good 06-07 Yamaha WR 450 in your budget range... My older brother has one and the suspension is good, the motor is great, and the bike feels comfortable. Should be fairly easy to convert to SM. With the factory gearing (depending on your riding area) you should be able to ride street and trail without switching the cogs. IMO.