Sign in to follow this  

Another 250 or 450 thread

Alright im 15, 6'0, 230 pounds and Ive been riding and racing since 5. I have a KTM 144 which i dont like so i bought a used 2003 yamaha 250 2 stroker which is a peice of junk. Im buying a new bike this year and im wondering if i should get a 250F/another 2 stroker or a 450. I like 4 strokes better then 2's so I would prefer to be on a 4st. Im just wondering if a 450F is gonna kick my butt like my dad says itwill. (and hes the one who said i should buy the 144 because the 250 was gonna kill me...) So i need to know if the 450 is gonna kill me and some ways that i can convince my dad to let me get a 450 and make my own bike decisions for myself.

Thanks for any help in advance 👍

Im 15, 135 pounds, 5'9 and ride a 450. Just been on it for 4 hours today 👍 It never kicks my ass! Im very tired at the moment but i could of rode it all day no worries. I say get the 450. It wont kick your ass not a chance. Unless your right hand is un friendly then you better take a look at yourself and see if you like how your arranged. Hope you like it.

But in all serious get a 450 fo sho'.

Alright im 15, 6'0, 230 pounds and Ive been riding and racing since 5. I have a KTM 144 which i dont like so i bought a used 2003 yamaha 250 2 stroker which is a peice of junk. Im buying a new bike this year and im wondering if i should get a 250F/another 2 stroker or a 450. I like 4 strokes better then 2's so I would prefer to be on a 4st. Im just wondering if a 450F is gonna kick my butt like my dad says itwill. (and hes the one who said i should buy the 144 because the 250 was gonna kill me...) So i need to know if the 450 is gonna kill me and some ways that i can convince my dad to let me get a 450 and make my own bike decisions for myself.

Thanks for any help in advance 👍

are you riding for fun or to be compeditive, at your wieght a 450 is probably a good idea, but it will teach you bad habit's when riding, if your just at it for fun that doesnt matter a whole lot.

just go for a more mellow 450 if you ask me, an 08 or earlier CRF or a fuel injected RM-Z imo are two of the most user friendly 450's there are, the KTM 450's a quite mellow in they're power delivery, but are easily the most power out of the box 450's on the market, however up until 2010 they've only been a 4 speed gearbox, KX-f's have monster low-mid range which is what wear's you out quickly so i would steer clear of them, the new FI KX-f's bikes being more powerful, but the older carb bikes being more agressive.

to the poster above me, a TE 450 has about as much in common with an mx bikes power delivery as banana's do with good engine oil, they're chalk and cheese with the TE's being very mellow and timid in comparison, a 250F with a ported head and a high comp piston will just about match your TE's peak HP.

I'm out riding the tamest 450 mxer there is (09 yz450f) and it's pretty quick. I'm getting a pipe to get it moving quicker though and at times it's a handful in the woods but other than that it rides great, especially if you like getting your arms straightened. 👍

are you riding for fun or to be compeditive, at your wieght a 450 is probably a good idea, but it will teach you bad habit's when riding, if your just at it for fun that doesnt matter a whole lot.

just go for a more mellow 450 if you ask me, an 08 or earlier CRF or a fuel injected RM-Z imo are two of the most user friendly 450's there are, the KTM 450's a quite mellow in they're power delivery, but are easily the most power out of the box 450's on the market, however up until 2010 they've only been a 4 speed gearbox, KX-f's have monster low-mid range which is what wear's you out quickly so i would steer clear of them, the new FI KX-f's bikes being more powerful, but the older carb bikes being more agressive.

to the poster above me, a TE 450 has about as much in common with an mx bikes power delivery as banana's do with good engine oil, they're chalk and cheese with the TE's being very mellow and timid in comparison, a 250F with a ported head and a high comp piston will just about match your TE's peak HP.

Mellow power delivery you say? Have you ever ridden one? My bike makes 47HP completely stock except a JD jet kit.

IMO, based on your weight and if you're going to race off-road, and you like 4 strokes better, then find a 450f that's designed for exactly that. You'll appreciate the larger tank, slightly softer suspension, cams that give a little less hit than an MX bike, a bit more flywheel, and much better gearing, and many other things. (Not being a fan of the larger KTM 4t's, I'd say stay with the blue, green, or red ones. hehe. But that's just me) They won't "kick your butt" either. To me, if you're going to plunk down some serious coin for a brand new bike, this would be the way to go.

Too bad you don't like 2t's, the KTM 250xc is about as perfect an off-roader you can get.

I do like 2ts its just that i have a yz250 and im looking to get something different. and im not riding trails i am going to be motocross racing. 👍

If you've been riding and racing since you were 5, the 450 shouldn't be too much bike for you.

im 15, 6'3 200 with all gear. im a crf250x in the AA class. its a good bike, but i think a 450 would be better for you.