battery toasted after 19k

stopped holding a charge the first day into my camping trip at Death Valley, had to stop on hills...lol. Its not the stator I just put a new one in last month. I have had the super starter kit yuasa battery for 19k miles I put it on in February 09' its been on the tender half of its life. the other half I have been riding it around the country and its been parked between 20-80 degrees F. do motorcycle batterys usually last longer? what size is the super starter kit battery? is yuasa the only maintenance free motorcycle battery?

The OEM sized Yuasa battery can be toast in days or years just depends on how it was placed into service and how it was used ( both charging and providing power)

The SSW Super Start kit uses a Yuasa battery that has almost twice the capacity of the OEM Yuasa.

Don't assume you don't have a charging issue until you check,, just because you installed a new part yesterday does not mean it did not fail today,, ,, with Electrical diagnosis, assuming is a great way to waste time and throw away money on unneeded parts.

Have you done the free power mod?

Go back and diagnose the charging system before you buy a new battery,

Another battery option is the Turntech it's more buy in $$$ but so far seems to be holding up well for those using them (here on this forum and another sport bike one I follow)

The OEM sized Yuasa battery can be toast in days or years just depends on how it was placed into service and how it was used ( both charging and providing power)

The SSW Super Start kit uses a Yuasa battery that has almost twice the capacity of the OEM Yuasa.

Don't assume you don't have a charging issue until you check,, just because you installed a new part yesterday does not mean it did not fail today,, ,, with Electrical diagnosis, assuming is a great way to waste time and throw away money on unneeded parts.

Have you done the free power mod?

Go back and diagnose the charging system before you buy a new battery,

Another battery option is the Turntech it's more buy in $$$ but so far seems to be holding up well for those using them (here on this forum and another sport bike one I follow)

thanks I havent done the free power mod. if it helps charging will it overcharge the battery? I frequently ride the bike for 20+ hours straight so this is important for me. so yuasa and turntech are the only maintenance free? if I bought a cheap battery would I be refilling the water frequently with my riding style? thanks

I think there all the same, Rocky mountain atv sells one for $50. 19k miles seems like a good run for that battery. How many miles are on your bike total?

23k total miles. the battery that came on the bike was never kept on a tender in Massachusetts by the PO. I thought the more you used a battery the longer it will last because it keeps its charge. My cheap $25 car battery has been going for 6 years (80,000 miles) now, I only got one year out of this Yuasa.

ok so I did a search for the cheapest maintenance free battery on Motorcycle Superstore. I had to use an application guide obviously because the super starter kit is not the stock size. The bike master is $90, the wps (you have to mix the remeasured acid) is $56, and the yuasa is $143. I there any reason to pay almost $100 more for the yuasa? they are all gel cell maintenance free sealed batterys.

Yea I think its all hit or miss. Ive heard people that never touch there battery and it lasted years while others always have it on the tender and it dies shortly.

thanks I havent done the free power mod. if it helps charging will it overcharge the battery? also do you put padding around your battery? do you think it will last longer if I reduce the vibrations?

The free power mod won't over charge the battery. What it does is take the resistance out of the system.

does it charge the battery better? or it assists with adding extra electrical devices? Do I need to do this for a ballast and HID bulb headlight?

The free power mod doesn't actually give you any free power. What it really does is free up the power that is being wasted overcoming resistance.

Have you checked the charging system since you started this thread? As Bronco said, without testing you have no idea what the problem is. A sure fire way to waste money.

thanks I havent done the free power mod. if it helps charging will it overcharge the battery? also do you put padding around your battery? do you think it will last longer if I reduce the vibrations?

Power mod, yes.. Vib- won't matter. Over charge- no.