A little psychological MX help from some Thumpettes please???

Hey Ladies-

So here is my problem: I have been riding dirt for about three years (took last year pretty easy though bc I was more interested in bass fishing than riding), and snowmobiling for about 7 years.

I'm totally confident in snow, but when it comes to dirt, I am always so scared of getting hurt that it is getting in the way of me improving my riding. I never "push it" a little like I know I need to improve my speed.

I'm not sure if it is because I started on a really fast 2 stoke (2003 KTM 125sx, I am getting a 4 stroke for this season though) or if it because when I first started riding I got a pretty bad ankle injury, that still hurts, when my peg smashed my ankle when I was hauling butt down a hill on a trail. I am also afraid of getting permanently disabled on a bike, which I know happens to some riders but in reality I could get disabled in a car wreak, falling down stairs, etc. These fears seem silly because I'm not scared of riding a snowmobile and I do things on it that could REALLY get me hurt.

Has anyone else had these intense fears and how did you overcome them?

If there are any amateur therapists here please help me out!

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘

I think your on the right track as attitude is 60% of anything you do and skill is the other 40%.

Couple of things (and this is advice from someone who loves to ride so I have it down mentally but my riding isn't necessarily all that great ๐Ÿ‘):

1) do you have good protective gear? Not that it can guarantee you won't get hurt again but it does help. For example, As you've already hurt your ankle than I'd definitely suggest making sure you have good stiff boots.

2) Speed: a friend of mine told me to not worry about the speed and that it would come when I was ready. Now, mind you, he wasn't talking about it being ok to snail pace, more that I shouldn't worry about staying up with the others speed kinda thing. While it's good to go a little faster than you sometimes think you need to (momentum is your friend, especially on those blasted hills) you shouldn't go totally out of your comfort zone either. Think long term vs short term. If you're scared all the time you'll just quit riding or find excuses not to ride. Years later, after his advice, I still don't go as fast as my race friends but I can keep up fairly close and enjoy myself.

3) to that end, try finding others to ride with that are better than you but very patient๐Ÿคฃ For trail riders- I also suggest being honest about your skill level so you don't go on completely inappropriate rides for your level. If people know what to expect from you then they should accept that you set the pace for the ride and not make you feel like an anchor. Every riders out there owes some payback time to a lesser/newer rider.

4) get on your bike as much as you can, even if it's just to do bike handling maneuvers. Time on the seat means increased familiarity/comfort.

5) I'm not sure if you ride track (MX) or do trail? If you only do MX why not try some slower trail. Not forestry roads either, as then tend to insire people to go too darn fast, I mean nice wider trail that lets you learn some seat skills safely.

Mostly, keep the goal focused- have fun as you get better. You will get better if you stay at it!

If you want to ride, the only way to get through your fear is to ride a lot and often. Keep your rides as close together as possible. If too much time passes between rides you won't develop muscle memory or get past your fears.

Good luck and keep at it!

Excellent points! What worked for me... not so much fear-related, but motivation to ride related... was to find other gals to ride with. When it was just me riding with hubby, I just puttered... riding but not trying... going through the motions. I enjoyed myself, but I certainly wasn't having full-on FUN. Riding with hubby and his buddies? Forget it... too much pressure. I didn't feel comfortable, and was more apt to tell hubby to go off and ride with his buddies.

Now that we have a nice mixed group we ride with, I'm on a faster bike, pushing myself (crashing some, of course, but finding that the majority of the bumps and bruises are just that, and not at all serious). I was the slowest of the group when I first joined up, but I'm gaining on some, and keeping up in general for the most part. It's so much more fun, and has even renewed my hubby's interest in riding... he's really enjoying himself and having more fun than ever! ๐Ÿ‘

Bikes and sleds are like comparing apples to oranges. Sleds, you don't have to worry about tipping over if you can't get a foot down. And just a simple tip over like that can hurt.

Best advice is to get out there and do it... and keep doing it. It will get better. You'll find yourself getting more comfortable, and brushing off those minor crashes. The only other option is to quit... and that is certainly no fun!

Just keep riding and honing your skills. The more comfortable you get, the more you will be able to push yourself. You said you are having trouble with the "pushing yourself" part so take it easy. Try to get outside of your comfort level just a little bit each time you ride.

I know that this is a little off topic, but bass fishing in Alaska?!

The best thing for me to do is ride with others that are better than me, and also riding by myself. Riding by yourself you can gain confidence, pushing yourself so that when the time comes you know that you can do something without hesitation. (i.e. climbing logs was a big thing for me)

๐Ÿ‘

I know that this is a little off topic, but bass fishing in Alaska?!

The best thing for me to do is ride with others that are better than me, and also riding by myself. Riding by yourself you can gain confidence, pushing yourself so that when the time comes you know that you can do something without hesitation. (i.e. climbing logs was a big thing for me)

๐Ÿคฃ

Haha I don't believe there is bass fishing here but there are plenty of other types of fish to make up for it ๐Ÿ‘. I moved up from Northern California last October :applause:

I really like to ride by myself when I am trying new things but Im always kind of nervous because if I hurt myself no one would be there to take me to the hospital. ๐Ÿ™‚

Haha I don't believe there is bass fishing here but there are plenty of other types of fish to make up for it ๐Ÿ‘. I moved up from Northern California last October :jawdrop:

I really like to ride by myself when I am trying new things but Im always kind of nervous because if I hurt myself no one would be there to take me to the hospital. :applause:

:lol:I know there isnt bass up there thats why I thought it was funny that you said you were obsessed with bass fishing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually I have been looking into moving up there myself after I graduate, but one of the things I would miss is the bass fishing. I am not much of a trout person and the only other real freshwater species is pike.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you move to Alaska?

And as far as the riding by yourself, I know you should always be with someone. But if you can bring someone out there to just watch, or maybe ride and take a break while you can fool around a bit is a good idea too, no pressure but someone to take you to the hospital!๐Ÿคฃ

I too, was an avid snowmobiler (still am!) and was apprehensive about my transition to dirt about 2 years ago. After all if you wreck on snow it's mostly powder and is more cushiony than dirt and rocks! But the transition wasn't that bad, I had all the protective gear I needed and that definitely helps cushions the falls. After a couple of rides and getting comfortable on my bike I found that some of the tricks I learned snowmobiling translated to my new toy. Be as tenacious on a bike as you are on a snowmobile and you will be fine ๐Ÿ‘