Sign in to follow this  

DIY Stator Rewind

Has anyone rewound their own stator. I have helped a buddy do an XR before, but I have not seen any info on the KLX450. I have plenty of Honda related links and it should be really similar. I know there are rewound KLX units out there but I like to do my own stuff and have all the wire from when I was going to do an XR650R. I am a little confused by the KLX wiring diagram though. I dont think it will matter since I will be stripping the existing wires off and starting with empty poles, but it seems like there are two hot wires coming out of the stock unit ( one for AC, headlight and one for the DC part of the system). I guess they must have certain coils designated for each system. It appears that most aftermarket stators are one big circuit and switch everything to DC. That seems to be the easiest option and probably the one I will do. This is a project for a little further down the road, but I wanted to see if anyone has done this or has any KLX specific info.

Thanks

Curt

i would be very interested on how you go if you go down that path. Keep me posted 👍

After pulling the side cover off to remove my starter stuff I can see why it would be difficult. The KLX stator is incredibly compact compared to an XR650R unit.... Not sure how I will proceed and when, I'll be sure to post up if I do. I may be content with a low wattage setup on the current stator if I decide to run lights again.