Sign in to follow this  

dr650 @ 120mph

That's an indicated 120 MPH, not necessarily a real 120. When my 1991 DR650 was new, I had it up close to an indicated 160 KPH. That was before I lowered the gearing and replaced the stock tires. I could barely feel the front tire on the road, never did it again.

Randy

I would be very scared on my DR at 120. I've done short bursts up to about 90mph (150Km) and that's enough.

Whoa. At that speed the time/space continuum starts to warp.

Must be the turbo charged SE. very rare

I have one of those but I can't seem to find the flux capacitor, I think they removed it from the later models as it was deemed too awesome for the average rider to handle

it has a normal front wheel, whatever that size is. its not magic or photoshop.

its all motor.

it has a normal front wheel, whatever that size is. its not magic or photoshop.

its all motor.

There is no magic needed, just somebody that is a bit naive. If you haven't figured it out yet, he is no where near 120mph ACTUAL SPEED.

yea luke has always been one to rain on peoples parades, he sounds like a

real fun guy. you make whatever you want to out of it. just dont spread your

pessimism, keep it to yourself.

From the looks of the pavement and the cars being passed, I would say he's doing no more than 40 to 50 mph! Everything is moving to slow. Everything except the speedometer needle that is.

Okay Lukas, let us in on the secret. I'm thinking he changed the speedometer drive in the front wheel or something similar, so that the speedo registers two to three times the actual speed.

Okay Lukas, let us in on the secret. I'm thinking he changed the speedometer drive in the front wheel or something similar, so that the speedo registers two to three times the actual speed.

no secret. my speedo did the same thing until i rerouted the cable to fix it.

he HAD to know something was afoul

yea luke has always been one to rain on peoples parades, he sounds like a

real fun guy. you make whatever you want to out of it. just dont spread your

pessimism, keep it to yourself.

I "always rain on peoples parades", and you just registered this week? What are you, some kind of idiot troll who can't post under his own screen name?

I am not sure what the exactly the "parade" is here either. We have some guy who goes fast on his DR on a straight (public?) road, is that supposed to be an impressive feat or something? If I see something cool you can be sure that I will say so, but this is not it.

And it has nothing to do with being a pessimist, either. I was merely pointing out that even if it was the correct rim/speedo gear size, it is a well known fact that the DR speedo shows 10-15% fast.

If the bike did actually go 120 mph on "all motor" as this thread was supposedly about - and not downhill and without a tailwind - that would certainly get my attention.

I don't think there is a secret, he is just not really going 120mph. I have had my DR up to 98 mph with full luggage on the Autobahn, even back when it was stock. So if you are small, light and tucked in, on a downhill 105 should be doable no problem. This would be about as fast as he is going on the video.

I've run a GPS verified 102mph and that was "balls to the wall" on a long, straight, flat Farm to Market road here in the Texas panhandle on a relatively calm day. Did it both ways, so there was no wind influence. However, the background in both his videos is not moving near fast enough to be doing even half his indicated speed. He has another video on YouTube where his speedo has him doing an indicated 110mph. If he wants to impress me, he can mount a GPS next to the speedo to cowitness his speed. Then he can post his speed video and show us what he's really got. He didn't even appeared to be tucked when he posted those to videos.

I've had my DR to 110 cruising next to my buddy in a WRX STI and his speedo said 110+ aswell, but i don't see why this isn't believable?

I've had my DR to 110 cruising next to my buddy in a WRX STI and his speedo said 110+ aswell, but i don't see why this isn't believable?

Firstly i've checked a number of cars against GPS and almost all of them are out by 5-10%, so just because this WRX says 110 doesn't mean it's doing that, likely closer to 103

Secondly I don't know the exact mathematics but the difference in wind pressure from 100mph to 120mph is quite significant, an extra horsepower or 2 isn't gonna get you there.

A KTM990 for example i've had pegged flat out at 230kph (take off a bit for inaccuracy, lets just say 210kph/130mph actual) and i've also had my DR650 pegged out at 163kph/101mph GPS actual. These bikes are not very aerodynamic at all, think sheet in the wind. And while that's a difference of only about 50kph/30mph and it took an extra 70 horsepower to get there, minus a bit to account for the extra ~50kg difference in weight

I'd say with a 725cc kit, upgraded cam, larger valves and spot on jetting he just 'might' touch on 120mph. Otherwise no chance

more likely 90mph, takes forever to get there though