xl250r Engine Dismantle w/photos

I need to replace the shifter shaft, so I'll be checking stuff as I go. With the help of my trusty assistant we began the process of getting inside the motor:

DSCF0059.jpg

The first issue is the camshaft which is broken where it attaches to the timing chain sprocket. I'll have to try to find one on e-bay as this is a $150 item new on bike bandit. This was already broken, the piece must have dropped into the timing chain hole, I wonder where I'll find it and what the damage will be?

DSCF0065.jpg

I also need to purchase a flywheel puller, unless there is a trick?

The next issue is one of the 4 head bolts (the one under the aluminum cap - rear) won't budge and seems to be rounded off. Stopped here as I need to make a trip to Sears and see what my options will be - 11mm socket to hammer on or if they have any bolt extractor that will fit inside. I really don't want to have to drill and extract.

If you have a compressor, sometimes and air tool can deliver the shocks to get a stubborn bolt loose. I don't know much about air tools but I do have one I used to get a wheel off an old dump truck once...

I got the last bolt on the head out tonight. Leaving it to soak in Kroil and tapping on it finally worked. I re-tightened the other 3 bolts as well. This made me very happy. I'm so glad I did not need to resort to other more destructive means

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

Some wear from I'm assuming the cam being a bit loose from operating with only one of the bolts attached to the timing chain gear?

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

Cylinder - looks very smooth - no scoring:

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

Olas - below is the cam coded R5:

DSCF0068.jpg

If you have a compressor, sometimes and air tool can deliver the shocks to get a stubborn bolt loose. I don't know much about air tools but I do have one I used to get a wheel off an old dump truck once...

Thanks. I saw my Dad over the weekend and borrowed his impact gun to use on the flywheel and clutch nuts. I gave it a try on the stuck head nut as well, but it didn't budge. I guess it just needed some time for the Kroil to do its job.

I'm having trouble removing the kickstarter shaft. The manual says to carefully release the return spring from the crankcase boss with a pair of vice grips then slide the assembly from the case. There is no room to get a pair of vice grips in there. Also the kickstarter plate is in the way with no way to remove it? There must be a trick, any help would be appreciated. I'll post some pictures of the problem later. Thanks!

Dad, can we ride our pedals bikes tonight? This pile of parts won't be in motion any time soon....

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

Here's the damage. Notice that bearing and the gaps between the case. Jeez - should have at least added some duck tape or bubble gum to get it a little tighter.

DSCF0094.jpg

Case loaded with shrapnel. This can't be good. The pen is pointed at the missing ear from the camshaft. Should be able to just super glue it back on.

DSCF0099.jpg

• 4 months later...

For the amount of work involved, it ended up being worth it in the long run. I'm not sure that financially it made sense to spend the money on parts both new and used, but overall it was a fun experience finding stuff on ebay and spending time with my son.

I ended up keeping the thread going here and didn't find the time to post i both places.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565903