Sign in to follow this  

Drowning a fuel injected bike

Normally on a carbed bike you pull the plug, pump the water out, drain the float bowl and your good to go. On a fuel injected bike, do you have to do anything with the fuel system?

Fuel injection systems use a fuel pump making them presureized. Unless the tank filled up with water wile running, there won't be water in the system.

Make sure the air box, filter and throttle body are dry, you'll be good.

Depends on whether it was running or not when he drowned it or whether the electronics were under water, too. While not exactly the same thing, a car, running or not, if 'flooded' is considered totalled and while that includes other electronics contributing to that, the fact is that once the computer and terminals are wet, it's toast with corrosion and same if water went into the injector. Stick to carbs!

Depends on whether it was running or not when he drowned it or whether the electronics were under water, too. While not exactly the same thing, a car, running or not, if 'flooded' is considered totalled and while that includes other electronics contributing to that, the fact is that once the computer and terminals are wet, it's toast with corrosion and same if water went into the injector. Stick to carbs!

Cars get totaled out when flooded is because they are not designed to get soaked wet and the only way to fix them properly is to gut the car down to body-in-white and replace everything from sound/heat insulation to the HVAC/radio, the full interior, etc...

On an EFI bike, the fuel system is much more sealed than a carbed bike. If you can shut the motor off before it goes under, chances are the EFI system will not be affected and you won't need to do anything different from a carbed bike. The only way for water to enter the fuel system would be to get water in the tank and have it get picked up by the fuel pump. There are no vent lines like on a carb to allow water into the throttle body like you see with a carbed bike and the float bowl.

To a point I agree, but at 70mph in the rain, a car is getting as much water as a bike and NEITHER are sealed to be submersed. I admit I misread the initial post in that he asked about the fuel sytem and you are right, but that isn't the worry as it's the electronics of the fuel system if they get flooded. If you can easily pull off a cap to plug in a computer or easily change rev boxes without going into a sealed compartment like with cars having them at the top of the engine by the windshield, there is a good chance of getting water in there..........

I liken it to the advertising they give you for the 'electronic' fans on cars and trucks for offroad........THEY SUCK! They get wet or submersed or get mud in them and they are done. No, it's not EFI system, but it's the fact that what you are told for reliability isn't real world.

Interestingly, nobody has come on here and said what has happened when they submerged their FI so either it never happens or it's a major problem.........maybe they float?

To a point I agree, but at 70mph in the rain, a car is getting as much water as a bike and NEITHER are sealed to be submersed. I admit I misread the initial post in that he asked about the fuel sytem and you are right, but that isn't the worry as it's the electronics of the fuel system if they get flooded. If you can easily pull off a cap to plug in a computer or easily change rev boxes without going into a sealed compartment like with cars having them at the top of the engine by the windshield, there is a good chance of getting water in there..........

I liken it to the advertising they give you for the 'electronic' fans on cars and trucks for offroad........THEY SUCK! They get wet or submersed or get mud in them and they are done. No, it's not EFI system, but it's the fact that what you are told for reliability isn't real world.

Interestingly, nobody has come on here and said what has happened when they submerged their FI so either it never happens or it's a major problem.........maybe they float?

My only response is that the EFI will be sealed about the same as the ignition on a modern dirtbike. Maybe not perfect, but I've had my KTM completely under water before and once I pumped the water out of the engine and wrung out the air filter, I got it running OK and made it back to the truck. Still needed a lot of TLC afterwards, but that's what happens when you find a 5' deep mudhole that wasn't marked in a race and you go under with the engine running.

We wash our bikes all the time, electronics will get wet from water while washing. As long as you CRC all the terminals, u should be fine.

Not to be snippet, but washing with water is nothing like submersing a bike.

I did some further 'research' when stopping at my polaris dealer to pike up some parts and asked this question and he said it's a toss-up as to what is more difficult.

Yes, a carb is part of the fuel system which you don't have to mess with on the FI bike, however, the throttle body an it's design can cause other problems as can dirt and where they are located.

They had one bike which they pulled the plugs and turned it over and water came shooting out. Had to change the fluids 3 times. While it was a dealer and an X2 cost was over $1000 though it had no electronic problems.

Another bike got flooded and was in dirtier conditions and it was totalled by polaris hq. Another one got flooded and while it's different because of computer controls indicating to the pod and to the transmission where the shifter is, they components were disagreeing and when it was in neutral it said it was in R. We don't have reverse, but just a demonstration of a simple electronic 'that'll never fail' causing major problems.

Last time I checked, you ain't getting warrantys on your MX bikes!

In essence while the question was asked about the fuel system, that isn't the problem as it's the air intake pulling in the water and why they don't go to a system like an enduro bike which would totally eliminate this hassle is beyond me.