06 RMZ 450 Timing/Valves??

I got the bike a couple months ago and it is my first 4 stroke. When I got the bike it had a small oil leak around the head gasket so I wanted to replace it. Well long story short I got the bike back together and it would not start. I realized that I set the timing at tdc, but not tdcc. I reset the timing at tdcc and now it runs, but misses and won't idle. Is it possible that I bent valves kicking it over with the timing set wrong?

I followed the procedure from the book the 2nd time around. I set the cams at TDC on the compression stroke and counted 15 links between timing marks on the cam gears.

That sounds good, your using the second line on rotor, right. I had to ask. Cam loabs ar facing 10 o clock 2 o clock. match marks are horizontal on gasket surface and vertical to timing chain pin 1 and 15. Should be spot on What is your valve clearance?

How was it adjusted before?

Did any thing happen the first time you set the timing, nocking ect.

Im trying to figure out what you mean by Tdcc. Tell me how you set the timing up the first time. That will help me determine what could have happed.

The first time it did not start so there was no knocking, but it did seem to seize once for a second while I was kicking it over. At the time I was thinking it was the decomp. sticking, but now I'm thinking it was a valve against the piston.

Oh and I used the 2nd mark on the rotor. I plan to tear back into it tonight after work. I will keep you posted when I find out something.

Could someone recommend a good set of valves without the oem price tag?

Oh, I almost forgot one more thing. I feel stupid even asking the question, but I seem to have left out part of the cam chain guide. It's the small rectagular piece about 2-3" long. Could someone tell me where this piece goes?

Oh, I almost forgot one more thing. I feel stupid even asking the question, but I seem to have left out part of the cam chain guide. It's the small rectagular piece about 2-3" long. Could someone tell me where this piece goes?

That goes on the in side of the valve cover and stops the timing chain from jumping. That could cause your timing chain to jump timing an gernade your motor. That piece is very important. Now I would check your timing again if its off you did posibly bend a valve.

Last night I finished disassembling the top end and found that the valves were fine. I poured gas in the intake and exhaust ports and no gas leaked past the valves. Piston looked good as well.

Check your valve clearance and reset the timing.

How old is the timing chain? It Ran perfect before you changed the head gasket, there isn't much else it could be.

Edited by mxn4life

Timing chain has a lot of hours on it. I guess I will replace it while I'm in there, but the timing was still spot on when I took it apart. One of the intake valves were slightly below .15 so I got a shim kit yesterday. I will adjust the valves and when the chain and gaskets come in I will post back with results. Thanks for the advice.