Sign in to follow this  

Oregon I'm trying to buy local....... really!

Ok, I guess this is just me talking out loud and venting.

Last week I was in the Gresham area and figured I'd stop by to visit the "new" KTM shop in Gresham. I am a big supporter of local businesses (I am a small business owner myself) and just wanted to see what the "new" (or I guess old) ownership had on display and in stock. After talking to the guy behind the counter (long time motorcycle shop guy......i think most know him - good guy) I left with a new sense of hope. Finally a shop that I can walk into in a moments notice that is stocking lots of parts, has the local feel, and actually wants your business. I talked to the guy for a while and left with a couple of oil filters, some Maxima oil, and a bottle of premix. Again, I had intentions of forever supporting them with my purchases.

After I got home I placed the bottle of premix next to others in my shop. I noticed that the exact same bottles had much different prices - Gresham KTM bottle was $11.99, the previous purchased bottle from a few months ago from anohter shop was $7.99. The Maxima was also different - Gresham KTM $8.95, other shop $6.95.

I know this isn't going to break the bank, but I just don't understand. Shops will complain about the online pricing then turn around and jack up supplies pricing. The guy behind the counter and I specifically had the conversation about buying online vs. in a local shop. He said buying online doesn't help the shop or me. We all need to buy from them to keep them in business.

With all this being said I just wish these guys would be competitive (or even close is good enough for me) with their supplies and parts pricing. I would love to buy everything from them but also need to watch what I spend. We have 6 mx bikes in our family and ride weekly.

Thanks for listening!👍

I've notice the prices of motorcycle oil has gone up everywhere. I have a local shop where I really trust the owner and he told me he can't find any cheap suppliers anymore even if he buys in bulk. He said that is the biggest complaint he gets from his customers.

I have been taken to the cleaners a few times by that shop. Once they had a master cylinder rebuild kit I needed that day. Consisted of a spring and a rubber seal. $47 they told me. I was like WHAT!!!! On line they were $22 shipped. I asked if they would meet me in the middle or something. Then i got this speech about this and that and the last line killed me... You need this for tomorrow right? We have it right here $47 or you can wait and buy it on line for $22. He was very rude and seemed to take pleasure in hammering me. The other guy working in the shop who i know well knows I ride a lot and know a lot of people in the biz. He was embarrassed. Seems like every time i go in there I leave feeling ripped off.

All that said Steve Doan (spelling?) who is the one i had issues with I still greatly respect. He does tons for the local off road community and worked all last year building the most amazing bridge I have seen on one of my favorite trails. Do I like to buy parts from him? No i always feel beat up afterward. Would i still by stuff from him. probably as I REALLY appreciate the other stuff he does for the off road community. Just being honest here.

you pay for service in a small(er) run business....It (to me) is worth the premium. I grew up in a family run, 2 store hardware store business that was competing with the big box stores. We could never compete on price but could beat the pants off them in service. Plus, if you needed a ivory screw for a switchplate(1 only) we gave it to you. You didn't have to buy a pack of eight from some pimply faced kid who had no idea.

You earned the money spend it where you like, how you like. Just got a set of goggles that I could get for half price on the web. Am I better off for buying local? Who knows??? If the local shops want to keep my business they better find a way to be competitive because it will only get worse. That said I do buy from Bentlever a lot;)

Joe......

You earned the money spend it where you like, how you like. Just got a set of goggles that I could get for half price on the web. Am I better off for buying local? Who knows??? If the local shops want to keep my business they better find a way to be competitive because it will only get worse. That said I do buy from Bentlever a lot;)

Joe......

my thoughts exactly

It's a tough decision. I buy both online and locally. Shops DO have overhead costs (rent, utilities, insurances, etc) that onliners do not...so I EXPECT their prices to be higher. The question is "by how much?"

One thing I always tell myslf when feeling hosed by a dealer's prices is: If everyone bought online and the dealer had to shut down his shop, how much that would suck when I do need a part (like a rebuild kit) the same day. Face it, we've all been in the same boat as RIDE described....

It's a tough decision. I buy both online and locally. Shops DO have overhead costs (rent, utilities, insurances, etc) that onliners do not...so I EXPECT their prices to be higher. The question is "by how much?"

One thing I always tell myslf when feeling hosed by a dealer's prices is: If everyone bought online and the dealer had to shut down his shop, how much that would suck when I do need a part (like a rebuild kit) the same day. Face it, we've all been in the same boat as RIDE described....

IDK what online retailers you are referring to, but I know places like TT Store, Dennis Kirk, RMC and the like all have structures, light bills and insurance premiums to cover just like a dealer.

'Online shops' don't exist in a financial vacuum.

I am more than happy to buy locally. I am an independent businessman myself and fully understand overhead and profit margins. I will gladly pay a little more for the convenience factor, but not a lot more.

I bought my last helmet at a local shop, I had been watching them online and told them so. They offered it to me at a price close to online so I was happy to buy it from them.

Other times though, like purchasing jets for instance, they charge way too much. I have commented on that and get the same usual run-around about overhead and high costs of shipping etc.

I think there has to be a middle ground where they can charge more than online but not enough to scare us off. I think they are under the delusion that all of their customers are idiots. I have learned many times myself that when I think that, I am the actual idiot.

Good management is the key there. It is better to make 10% of something than 100% of nothing. If stuff doesn't sell, mark it to move and get something that will.

Just remember when you all do buy new bikes someday or even a newer used one and something goes wrong out of the ordinary and you need the dealers help with the manufactur to help you with it and believe me it happens more then you think don't expect a whole lot of help from the dealer when you buy all your stuff online. Some online places have some good deals for sure but some have you brainwashed thinking its a good deal and its actaully reatail or like 5% off. Most online employees don't even ride either just guys or gals taking orders. Also any local events you go to around here if you go to any that is, its the dealers that support the events not online stores.

Joe......

motorcycle superstore had smith EVO goggles for 59.00 with 6.95 shipping. The honda dealer in Woodburn(OR) had them for 49.00. I had just happened to pass by and pulled in to take a look. Kid in a candy store I guess. I had bought them online a few months ago so online does not always guarantee lowest price. In fact sometimes completely opposite. But then again who has time to drive to every dealer?

motorcycle superstore had smith EVO goggles for 59.00 with 6.95 shipping. The honda dealer in Woodburn(OR) had them for 49.00. I had just happened to pass by and pulled in to take a look. Kid in a candy store I guess. I had bought them online a few months ago so online does not always guarantee lowest price. In fact sometimes completely opposite. But then again who has time to drive to every dealer?

I got my Smith Top Fuel, Graphic series, No Sweat, goggles(long name...) from motorcycle Superstore for $19.99....but my favorite store is RMATV, bar none....

You can always find bad deals on the web and in a shop. You can get a set of 08+ white KTM fork guards for $10 more that full retail OEM on ebay. I ordered mine from a KTM shop,,, in Eugene OR,,, about 100 miles away from me;) Bottom line is it's my money and I will shop around to find the best deal I can. Dirtbiking is a luxury for my family and it is my responsibility to balance things so that makes me a penny pinching freak. Possibly my priorities are all messed up and I should just throw cash at my local dealers as I drive by. lol.

Joe.....

I use the hell out of Cycle Gear. I have a sponsorship (easy to get) that gets me 10-20% off that usually beats the internet price and they can order just about anything. And the nice thing is if it is the wrong part I can just take it back to the store for a 100% refund - no hassles with sending it back.

I buy some things locally. I will pay a bit of a premium too. But local shops often can't have the selection of items, sizes, etc. that you can find online.

Doubling a price (or more) and then blackmailing me because I need it tomorrow? I may pay the ransom today, but that dealer would probably not see my face thereafter - at least not very often (only in emergencies).

Do I want local dealers? Yes. But realistically - in the future it may not matter; I may be moving to an area where the closest dealer for either of my bikes is at least one to two hours drive away. In that case online ordering and doing servicing myself will become mandatory.

I think a lot of things in that shop have increased in cost recently. I bought a gasket a few months ago for $10. Needed the same gasket again this weekend and it was $15.👍

Not going to break the bank but it made me check the price I could get it for online. For what I spent on gas/time getting out to the shop I'll probably end up going online next time.

• Like 1

I am with you! Same $hzt in Lynnwood.

I am ok with paying a small premium to be able to support my local shop with my purchases. Looking at my receipts over the last couple years…. I have spent quite a bit with my local dealer including a new bike purchase. (I could have got a bit better deal on my bike had I bought with another shop but didn’t… how that for support)

I would say I have purchased all the ‘normal’ stuff like most….replacement plastics, gloves, exhaust, riding gear, goggles, sprockets, chains, lots of tires, grips, break pads, oil, premix, air filters, lots of KTM hard part bling, even top end rebuilt parts for my previous 07 bike.

Even with a 10% discount at my shop I definitely could have saved some cash and ordered most of the stuff on line for less but I didn’t.

That will be changing in the future! Including a possible new bike purchase that will be with a different shop this time. 🙂

I do appreciate my parts guys product knowledge, and like hanging at the shop for a bit when I have time to bs about bikes and riding. (Thanks Fred)👍

What I don’t care for is the bone headed approach of the owner trying to run the “local shop” like an online retailer. For more than a year there has been some questionable focus on costs cutting by eliminating parts inventory for basics and even soft goods.

Yes I understand flooring costs, terms on financing, and recognize out current economic cycle…. But come on! Can’t afford to stock medium or large black gloves for three months plus? Can’t afford to stock HD tubes for an 18” rear wheel? Only one set of brake pads in stock? Don’t have a replacement front number plate for the current year model? ***?

If I wanted to order it on line and have it shipped I would have done it from my office and saved some gas and time in traffic.🤣

I call BS on the idea of supporting your local shop. How about the shops supporting local buyers with product on the shelf ? Novel Idea.

Next time I am at Safeway I hope they can order me some milk and bread.

Rant over.:applause:

Ok, I guess this is just me talking out loud and venting.

Last week I was in the Gresham area and figured I'd stop by to visit the "new" KTM shop in Gresham. I am a big supporter of local businesses (I am a small business owner myself) and just wanted to see what the "new" (or I guess old) ownership had on display and in stock. After talking to the guy behind the counter (long time motorcycle shop guy......i think most know him - good guy) I left with a new sense of hope. Finally a shop that I can walk into in a moments notice that is stocking lots of parts, has the local feel, and actually wants your business. I talked to the guy for a while and left with a couple of oil filters, some Maxima oil, and a bottle of premix. Again, I had intentions of forever supporting them with my purchases.

After I got home I placed the bottle of premix next to others in my shop. I noticed that the exact same bottles had much different prices - Gresham KTM bottle was $11.99, the previous purchased bottle from a few months ago from anohter shop was $7.99. The Maxima was also different - Gresham KTM $8.95, other shop $6.95.

I know this isn't going to break the bank, but I just don't understand. Shops will complain about the online pricing then turn around and jack up supplies pricing. The guy behind the counter and I specifically had the conversation about buying online vs. in a local shop. He said buying online doesn't help the shop or me. We all need to buy from them to keep them in business.

With all this being said I just wish these guys would be competitive (or even close is good enough for me) with their supplies and parts pricing. I would love to buy everything from them but also need to watch what I spend. We have 6 mx bikes in our family and ride weekly.

Thanks for listening!👍

Let me first say I have NO clue what the suggested retail price is for that stuff. And since you didn't mention where you bought the other oils from I can't presume they are a larger volume dealer. But I can make that assumption in comparison to online retailers. Someone said above me that if local business expect to keep him as a customer they better figure out a better way or something. Well thats just fookin retarded. If TT or some other online retailer buys $5 million in inventory from Parts Unlimited, they are on a far diff price matrix than Gresham KTM who buys probable under a quarter million. So they buy cheaper, and because they sell in much larger voume they can sell cheaper to maintain the margin that they need. All you guys you are price whores and who will buy online and wait 2 days to 2 weeks for parts to save a few bucks will be the same guys bitching when ALL of the local dealers are out of business and you have to go to Seattle to buy your new bike. Or take it BACK to Seattle for warranty work. Off my soap box now

I do not care about making a dealer his fortune. I buy where it will save my hard earned cash. The only time I go to the dealer is when the part is needed right then. The shop owner does not come to my place of business to give me extra cash he shops around. So if you like donating your cash good for you. You might as well stuff an envelope with money and mail it to them and say thanks.

I do not enjoy getting ripped off just to make someone a buck.

There will always be repair shops as for the parts stores they are not a mandatory thing just a novelty. Buy local when it is cost effective.

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"