Sign in to follow this  

OMG Oil Plug's Hole Broke off, 96 YZ250 can it be welded?

Well, my Fiance's Honda needed a rear wheel bearing session, so we bought some bearings and that went well, then on to my 1996 YZ250 that has been running perfect this year, we decided to change the oil because it has been about 4 hours.

This is where the trouble started the bolt came out fine ( but now thinking about it , was hard to remove)

we drained the oil, then

when I put the drain bolt back in I started to hand thread it then use the ratchet, it never really tightened to snug. It just stripped out on me, and the decided to break off a side of my case where it mounts.

I will post pics as soon as possible.

My Question is can the small peice I have be welded back on being so close to the seam of the cases?

Secondly, if it was welded, would I risk damaging any electrical componenets, example flywheel.

I have a spare set of cases but was hoping not to have to use them.

welding it is not going to harm your electronics unless you do something really hanky with your ground......never through bearings or wires. I think what is gonna kill you, is the warpage and the yamabond melting. if you are way patients with a tig you can prolly get through it ok, get greedy and it's splitsville.

I say you have a 50/50 of it going well.

should have photos first thing tommorow, as I will be taking the engine out,

thanks for the input so far and happy Saturday riding,, dont break your oil drain plugs