Sign in to follow this  

Chain tension adjuster bolt on swingarm stuck !!!!

The bolt on the swingarm that adjust chain tension is stuck and wont come out:banghead:

its a 97 kx 125 and these little things are starting to really 🙂 me off!!

instead of doing maintenance every now and then ..... now someone that does care for bikes / do maintenance is stuck screwing around with old rusted bolts etc:banghead:

the bolt head is in tuff place and was stripped on both sides ... got one side out barely but the other is stuck half way out 👍 the bolt head and the nut that holds it tight is also stripped :applause:

hopefully its not trashing the threads inside the swingarm ...seems very tight and hard to loosen ....have an inch to go still and am going to have to cut it and drill it out somehow? once again its the bolt that adjusts the chain tension on the swingarm .... its has a nut on it that you tighten after setting chain tension ....there is one on each side of swingarm ....threads on in swingarm its self ,,,,

anyone ever had to drill these out ...tuff place in swingarm🤣

Get some Kroil penetrating oil and squirt some in there and let it sit for a day or so. It'll come out. Might have to chase the threads when you get it out to clean them up.

Little Jeff

The bolt on the swingarm that adjust chain tension is stuck and wont come out:banghead:

its a 97 kx 125 and these little things are starting to really 🙂 me off!!

instead of doing maintenance every now and then ..... now someone that does care for bikes / do maintenance is stuck screwing around with old rusted bolts etc:banghead:

the bolt head is in tuff place and was stripped on both sides ... got one side out barely but the other is stuck half way out 👍 the bolt head and the nut that holds it tight is also stripped :applause:

hopefully its not trashing the threads inside the swingarm ...seems very tight and hard to loosen ....have an inch to go still and am going to have to cut it and drill it out somehow? once again its the bolt that adjusts the chain tension on the swingarm .... its has a nut on it that you tighten after setting chain tension ....there is one on each side of swingarm ....threads on in swingarm its self ,,,,

anyone ever had to drill these out ...tuff place in swingarm🤣

very common and many people have had to drill them out or use an extractor after breaking them. some have ruined the threads. the aftermarket supports the problem though, bolt kits are made and i think someone even makes an oversized one with a tap and all, in case you strip it out.

heres yet another version with a plate to replace the threads or something

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=35&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=2663

I'm feeling your pain - having exactly the same problem right now on both sides of a KTM. The more I work them to try to get them out, the tighter they get. I'm sure it's the aluminum galling up in the threads. I'm considering just drilling them out and heli-coiling.

I'm feeling your pain - having exactly the same problem right now on both sides of a KTM. The more I work them to try to get them out, the tighter they get. I'm sure it's the aluminum galling up in the threads. I'm considering just drilling them out and heli-coiling.

thats right where im at too:bonk:

one side is out but the other is getting tighter the more i turn it 👍

threads are probably screwed now like you said🤣

oh well ...once i fix it its good for awhile ....probably been like this forever ....damn PO's

good luck ...heli-coil is good idea ...probably my next step:thumbsup:

If they will screw in to the swing arm without too much force you can cut the head off, cut a slot in the bolt and use a small screwdriver to screw it into the swing arm. It will be rattling around in the swing arm but I don't think it would bother me.

If you can screw it in, you can screw it out. Don't screw it in the whole way and leave it in there.

I had the same problem, bolt snapped with 1/4" or so exposed.

I tried penetrating oil and slotting the bolt for a flat head screw driver. The bolt laughed at me.

Then vice grips. No luck.

I tried welding a extension on, like a handle. Each time it would break more. I did this till it was flush with the surface.

Finally, I gave up and sent it to the machine shop. $10, problem solved.

If they will screw in to the swing arm without too much force you can cut the head off, cut a slot in the bolt and use a small screwdriver to screw it into the swing arm. It will be rattling around in the swing arm but I don't think it would bother me.

thanks already tried that .... no go ....but i did manage to get the top head off without killing the threads so now i will just use a ext or threaded nipple to thread over the stud thats stuck in there .... its cut low enough so i can thread the nipple in and out to tighten chain still:banana:

hopefully that will work if not i will have to drill and tap🤣

but i think my way should work i hope 👍

jack ...i got it ....i drilled perpendicular thru bolt to get the head off and managed to keep good threads🤣 so now i am going to get a threaded nipple to screw on to stud thats stuck in there .... its cut low enough so i can still use nipple as chain adjustor ....

maybe you should try that before drilling and tapping .... just use a drill bit the same size as bolt and drill exactly perpindicular to the bolt ....i filed the edge of bolt a little to get a flat face to drill on .... it worked great and the threads didn't get damaged 👍

easier than drill/tap for now .....

a propane torch to make a little heat goes a long way to extracting stuck bolts (that and penetrating oil). And patience.