Sign in to follow this  

kyb shock rebuild - circlip

Hi Guys,

I've rebuilt a few Show shocks before, but I think this is my first KYB, off an 05 WR450. I'm have trouble getting the circlip out of the shock body w/ various screwdrivers. I don't remember having any issues with the Showas, but thought maybe there is a trick. The ring won't lift, it just slides around and I'm getting tired of chasing it... 👍 I also don't want to mar anything up.

When I cleaned the shock up i sprayed it with WD-40 and think maybe that made the ring slick and maybe I would have been better off with more stiction.

Anybody have a trick/idea?

Thanks,

Joe

i use a feeler gauge push between the clip and the shock body, then pull the clip over the top of the groove and feeler gauge with a screwdriver. takes 2 seconds doesnt mark the shock body at all. hope this helps:thumbsup:

another way is to push the seal head way down, and push both ends of the clip downwards, then the opposite side comes up and you can pull it out.

Thanks for trying to help, I've tried a couple methods and still no luck. I can't get any size feeler gauge under this thing, maybe I've got the wrong angle of attack. I was mostly trying to catch the "lip" of one end/edge at about a 45 degree angle, but for the life of me I can't get under it.

Karlace, are you suggesting coming in as straight down as possible? About what size feeler gauge do you use? I pretty much tried a wide variety, with different but all frustrating results. Looks like I put a small burr in by slipping with a small screwdriver.

I also tried using a Paint Can Key, which seemed to almost grip the ring, but it doesn't give a good angle to push it down. I'm thinking I might grind some of the curl out of the end of it to see if I can get better results, but think it is more my technique that "wrong tool"....

Best Regards,

Joe

Thanks everyone, a 0.006 feeler gauge finally did it!

The Showa's I've done never gave me this much grief!