10% ethanol???

I dont buy a lot of gas since I use a diesel van for work. However, my two local stations have new stickers up on the pump. Both stickers say, "This fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol". Nice.

I wonder if this is enough to be a complete PITA? I dont know if its a state or county thing, but it might make buying good fuel tough.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club, RC. We've had those same stickers on the pumps here in GA for at least 3 to 4 years. Thus my discussions in years past about finding consistant fuel for my YZ's. Tough to keep accurate jetting when you add uncertain fuel into the mix. 👍🤣

I have a good friend that farms in Iowa, where I grew up. We raced MX together, and he has a fleet of ATC 90/110's along with all of the usual small engined yard power tools. He said that he never has to add Sta-Bil to any of the machines, as long as he uses the off-road gasoline he buys from Farm Service for his tractors. They always start up, no matter how long they have been sitting. So, it seems that ag. fuel is regular old gasoline, with none of the anti-pollution chemicals blended into todays auto fuel, (besides no highway taxes.)

I'm hoping to find a source for off-road / agricultural fuel here in GA to experiment with this summer. My only other choice these days is to either mix race fuel with 100LL AvGas, or to run straight race gas, to ensure that my next tank of fuel is the same as my last tank.

THere are a couple of "green" stations here that have been selling up to 10% ethanol for years here. Thankfully we live in a fairly conservative province that doesn't buy in the whole GREEN MARKETING bullshit that's been flogging our TV's for the past year.

I personally can't stand it, as you can probably tell by the tone of my writing 👍. It's all about money, and nothing to do with the environment.

I avoid ethanol at all costs these days, where as just last year I could care less.

Here's the biggest problem with ethanol blended fuels-ethanol is that ethanol draws moisture to it like a magnet attracts filings.

In your daily use automobile, the fuel doesn't linger in the tanks for extended periods like it does in bikes, so it doesn't present the problems like it does in irregular use machines like bikes, snowblowers, etc.

Haven't been able to get gas that wasn't at least 10% ethanol around here for a few years. I haven't noticed a difference personally. I hear everyone complain about how much of a pain 10% ethanol is, but I've never had one issue running it in any of my bikes, two stroke or four stroke. Just my 2 cents.

It's a nightmare. I've seen it go bad in a sealed container in 2 weeks.

My sons PW50 sat for 1 month. Wouldn't start. Drained the tank and the carb. Poured in 50/50 VP 112 and 89 no ethanol and it started first kick. Sweet- a PW50 on race gas.

boats- My boss, my brother, 2 boats I've bought and sold, my friends, etc- all screwed up by storing fuel for a month or 2 at the most.

Pour all the startron and crap in there you want. It doesn't work.

And as mentioned above, my 450 ran crazy hot on it. Is your 4 stroke hard to start? Get real gas and be amazed. Screw that fuel and the political machine that force it on us.

There are quite a few stations around here selling no ethanol 89. I buy it now for use around the house. Tired of cleaning out carbs. I bet I've bought 6-8 cans of carb cleaner in the last year for just my stuff.

I was told last week about a station near my house selling no ethanol 93.

Do yourself a favor and keep that crap out of your motors.

Haven't been able to get gas that wasn't at least 10% ethanol around here for a few years.

Not sure where in NY you are, but we have a couple of places in the Albany area who still offer ethanol-free pump fuel.

Not sure where in NY you are, but we have a couple of places in the Albany area who still offer ethanol-free pump fuel.

I'm near Syracuse, haven't seen a pump that didn't say "contains 10% ethanol" in many years. I have heard that there is an ethanol-free pump up near Old Forge, but that, like Albany, is pretty far for me to drive to get pump gas.

I'm near Syracuse, haven't seen a pump that didn't say "contains 10% ethanol" in many years. I have heard that there is an ethanol-free pump up near Old Forge, but that, like Albany, is pretty far for me to drive to get pump gas.

Same for me, near Rochester. I haven't seen a single pump that doesn't have ethnanol in it. LIke you though, i haven't seen any issues with it in any of my bikes.

It's been common here in WA for over the past decade now, I haven't ever had a problem with it but you must use it up right away cause after a month the octane level will start to drop off.

But I don't use it in my dirtbikes I go out of my way to get trick unleaded 101 race gas for my bikes some but few gas stations (usually near airports) sell it at the pump but if I must use 92 pump gas i make sure it is fresh.

Before you know it you'll be able to tell if a chevron station is a real one or just a ma n pop franchise that is selling the cheap local refinery swill that you could get for 10 cents less at the AM/PM up the street.

...is pretty far for me to drive to get pump gas...

I agree. I use it in my lawnmower, snowblower, weed wacker, chain saw, and bikes. I have not used much of it in the truck or car as the price is about about 15% or 20% more than standard 10% ethanol pump gas. If you are interested, maybe a couple of my buddies could haul some out to a District 3 race for you guys.

...haven't seen a pump that didn't say "contains 10% ethanol" in many years...

You are right about that. It all started when the People's Republik of New York outlawed the use of MTBE as an oxygenate years ago.

I dont buy a lot of gas since I use a diesel van for work. However, my two local stations have new stickers up on the pump. Both stickers say, "This fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol". Nice.

I wonder if this is enough to be a complete PITA? I dont know if its a state or county thing, but it might make buying good fuel tough.

Yes it is enough to become a pain in the ass. I've always used one station that we knew didnt use ethanol at any percentage then one day he puts those stickers up and I havent been able to get my bike running 100% since. I now have detonation issues and throttle response became a little sloppy compared to how it was before. Im thinking of sending my head back to RB heads to see if he can remill it for this crap. Im also thinking of going to the next hotter plug to help burn all that crap off.

I had to richen my jetting a bit and now Im much more careful about how long a ride is to make sure I dont run out of gas

Haven't been able to get gas that wasn't at least 10% ethanol around here for a few years. I haven't noticed a difference personally. I hear everyone complain about how much of a pain 10% ethanol is, but I've never had one issue running it in any of my bikes, two stroke or four stroke. Just my 2 cents.

Here in michigan it is becoming sort of rare to find non-corn fuel, and I really have not seen a huge difference compared to when it was just straight premium. It might have something to do with me always using fresh premium fuel.

Running 10% ethanol will not cause detonation, the octane rating is still the same!

What it can do is make the bike run SLIGHTLY leaner.

What it does do is collects water, makes nasty acidic compounds, gums up carbs, leaves deposits in carbs, and even can corrode carb parts at a very accelerated rate. Unless I'm using the occasional few tanks of race gas I've been using E10 for years now with no ill effects in my dirt bikes. Don't leave em sit with a tank and carb full of the stuff for 8 weeks, and I suggest using some Stabil that's made to combat the moisture issue of ethanol fuels, even if you think you'll be burning up every last drop that day.