Sign in to follow this  

tranny issue 05 yz250

This bike started skipping in 3rd and 4th.. took the side cover off and replaced the sift drum etc.. it was well worn and we figured that would take care of it.. no dice.. anyone else have issues like this?

If it's not just the drum, it's the forks. Time to split the cases. I didn't know that the shift drum could be removed without splitting cases, good to know.

It could be the shift forks, but if it has started skipping I would bet its the dogs on the gears. Just a little rounding and they're junk, you will have to replace all of the gears that engage for those that are skipping.

This bike started skipping in 3rd and 4th.. took the side cover off and replaced the sift drum etc.. it was well worn and we figured that would take care of it.. no dice.. anyone else have issues like this?

I had this happen in 5th. The shift fork got screwed and didn't fully engage 5th and caused the gears to wear out. Probably need both of those gears and the shift fork replaced.

I'm a bit confused, to replace the shift drum you have to split the cases, and at that point, you probably would have noticed the gear issue. Did you just replace the ratchet mechanism that moves the shift drum?