Sign in to follow this  

setting sag confused??

pretty confused on how to set my sag I know it needs to be done ive got bigger and my bike sags more in the rear but ive seen free sag rider sag and adjusting the ride height how do i set my sag? measure from the inside fender bolt to the rear of the swingarm on the stand then do the same but with me on the bike??? i want my sag to be 98mm

Race sag would be the difference between the bike on the stand (both wheels off the ground), and with the bike on the ground with you on it (full tank of gas & you fully geared up). Any two places to measure the difference is fine, just find a spot that gives accurate readings every time. If not at the 98mm as you prefer, loosen lock collar on shock and rotate clock wise (raise spring up shock body) to increase sag or couter clock wise (lower spring down shock body) to decrease sag. Each full turn of the lock collar is about .06" or 1.5mm (calculate before adjusting to give you an ideal of how many turns you will need).

Free sag is the difference between the bike on the stand (both wheels off the ground), and with the bike on the ground unloaded. If you have the correct spring, once the race sag is adjusted to the 98mm as you mentioned, your free sag should be around 20-35mm.

Dave

Race sag would be the difference between the bike on the stand (both wheels off the ground), and with the bike on the ground with you on it (full tank of gas & you fully geared up). Any two places to measure the difference is fine, just find a spot that gives accurate readings every time. If not at the 98mm as you prefer, loosen lock collar on shock and rotate clock wise (raise spring up shock body) to increase sag or couter clock wise (lower spring down shock body) to decrease sag. Each full turn of the lock collar is about .06" or 1.5mm (calculate before adjusting to give you an ideal of how many turns you will need).

Free sag is the difference between the bike on the stand (both wheels off the ground), and with the bike on the ground unloaded. If you have the correct spring, once the race sag is adjusted to the 98mm as you mentioned, your free sag should be around 20-35mm.

Dave

So turning the spanner nut/collar clock wise loosens it and moves the collar up the threads?

So turning the spanner nut/collar clock wise loosens it and moves the collar up the threads?

Yup, if viewing from bottom. Basically, if the shock is mounted to the bike, turn to the right if you need to increase the sag, and turn to the left if you need to decrease the sag.

I just adjusted mine today 👍

Edited by FaintReality

when measuring, i measure from the bottom of the axle nut straight up to the fender. try to make the tape measure straight as possible. i also got a black sharpie and made a little line so i kno where to line up everytime 👍