Sign in to follow this  

Am i asking for trouble?

Guys,

I never had a Husky, but have always admired them and thought they were pretty cool bikes. There is a 1995 350 that is for sale for $500 pretty close by, but they guy said that it had sat for a year or two, he got it started but said it ran ok, not great. So he drained the tank, cleaned the carb put everything back together and now it won't run at all. My guess is that the carb is still dirty, or something else easy is wrong with it, if it was running before. I was hoping to trade him a go-kart and some boot for it, and try to fix it, but i don't want to get in over my head. Apparently a manual is included but the front fender is missing (haven't been able to find one online yet). Any of you Husky guys have any words of wisdom or warnings about possible problems? Thanks

Brad

Hi WBDISCO, I bought a 92 TE350 about 3 weeks ago, and am in the process of rebuilding it. I am going to put a piston and ring kit in it and I have to replace the the shock and linkages, the camshaft, (as it is part of the water pump shaft and the circlip came off the shaft causing the impellor to wear a lot of the inside of the water pump cover away, as well as the impellor shaft.)

I will replace all the cables, fork seals and chain rollers/slides etc., clutch plates, cam chain, cam chain sprocket and tensioner, headlight, front guard, probably radiator hoses, and maybe the rear brake master cylinder.

I have already either got or have ordered most of the parts and I guess that by the time it is finished, it will cost me about $1000 AUD.for parts.

I paid $1286 for the bike, so I should get a pretty good bike for under $2500.

Anything that I buy for that price would probably need work anyway, so I have the fun of rebuilding and getting to know the bike and getting a reliable bike as well.

If you aren't interested in doing work on the bike, perhaps you could buy it and wreck it, parts are pretty easy to dispose of on these models.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info, i don't mind working on bikes. I just didn't know if there were any major concerns with Huskys. Honestly, i was just hoping to get it cheap and clean the carb and get to riding. But as always you never know I guess until you get into it.

I had a late 80's early 90's 350 4 stroke, ran fantastic when you could get it started. Once hot, the bike wouldn't kick start at all. Good luck with yours, mine may have been a fluke but carb changes, valve settings and compression release changes didn't help at all.

so no-one knows why these bikes are so hard to start? Surely, someone would have figured it out in the past 20 years. Is there any better luck popstarting down a hill?

Hi again, when i got the bike, it hadn't been ridden for about 12 months, I took about three kicks to start it, then every day after, it started on the first kick.

If your getting spark and fuel, then it's probably just in the technique.

Huskys are great bikes, this is my fourth one, but it is my first 4 stroke husky.

Cheers.

awesome, well hopefully i will be picking it up this weekend if everything goes ok

Left side kick starters are tough to get use to (if your right handed). I have had my 2000 TE610 for ten years now and still, when the bike is cold I will stand on my bike crate and kick it with my right leg. Use the compression lever and give it a good 3-5 reps before letting loose with the full kick to start it. Otherwise you will be nursing a sore foot and ankle for a few days. Once warmed, kicking with the left is no problem. There is certainly a technique to starting these bad boys but once you learn it, you will love it!

the left side kick is definitely different, my daughter's pw50 has it, and there is no telling how many times i have searched for the kick starter on the other side.