Sign in to follow this  

24mm tripple clamps

Im 95% sure I am buying a set of Applied Racing 24mm tripple clamps tomorrow. If you have run the 09/10 with 24mm offset tripple clamps, I would like to hear your opinion, good or bad.

tried a set of 22mm, didnt turn as good as stock, so i sold them, bought a GPR low boy stablizer kit, had them flush the stablizer and install 1wt oil, wow, best of both worlds. still turned great and no headshake or sketchyness.

tried a set of 22mm, didnt turn as good as stock, so i sold them, bought a GPR low boy stablizer kit, had them flush the stablizer and install 1wt oil, wow, best of both worlds. still turned great and no headshake or sketchyness.

Can you give more detail as to what you mean by "it didnt turn as well". Personally I think the 09 turns too sharp. I find that the front end tucks in the turns, especially if the soil is loose and there arent any ruts. Im hoping that 24mm offset will cure the problem like MX-Tech and Applied Racing claim.

50% like it 50% don't. Rekluse E-Axle is a lot cheaper way to try it.

I saw that E axle on their website but I have never met someone with one or read a review. Is there any disadvantage to running the E Axle vs an offset tripple clamp?

You should be able to fix the front end problem by adding more dampening to the steering dampener. A friend of mine said " they sell triple clamps" refering to some companies belief the 09 needed 22mm offset. Yes the bike likes to oversteer, but that is much better than a bike that understeers. If you race you will be giving someone a place to put their front wheel when you loose some of the great steering ability of the new chassis. Its mt opinion the bikes have gotten better and better as the offsets have gone from 24 to 22 to 20.

I run one on my 09, no disadvantage at all as it is adjustable.

Can you give more detail as to what you mean by "it didnt turn as well". Personally I think the 09 turns too sharp. I find that the front end tucks in the turns, especially if the soil is loose and there arent any ruts. Im hoping that 24mm offset will cure the problem like MX-Tech and Applied Racing claim.

well, like mentioned already, of course they recomend changing the clamps, they sell them. When i installed the 22mm clamps and i rode on the same track i new very well, the bike was harder to turn. It took more effort and even pushed a little. I HATED my 2009 until i finally tried a steering dampner. I also had 48 springs that held it up better so it didnt tuck as you descibed. Once i used the dampner, and lightened the oil, i fell in love with the bike. But it took almost a year and six revalves to figure it out.

I wouldn't ride the 09,10 without it.

well, like mentioned already, of course they recomend changing the clamps, they sell them. When i installed the 22mm clamps and i rode on the same track i new very well, the bike was harder to turn. It took more effort and even pushed a little. I HATED my 2009 until i finally tried a steering dampner. I also had 48 springs that held it up better so it didnt tuck as you descibed. Once i used the dampner, and lightened the oil, i fell in love with the bike. But it took almost a year and six revalves to figure it out.

I wouldn't ride the 09,10 without it.

The 09/10's come with a steering dampner from the factory??? Are you saying that once you started adjusting it and playing with it that you began to like the bike?

no, i did have the stock one revaled, and it was better. What i ended up buying was a GPR stabizer with the lowboy top clamp. this set up retains stock handle bar hight with a sub mount stablizer. Its clean and simple. This solved all the sketchyness the front end had, hands down the best mod for me.

I agree with DEGBTI. Remember, the stock damper is designed to work AFTER 15% off center. it's purpose it to reduce deflection in corners. A regular steering damper works off center and typically breaks free after 15% or so depending on brand and set up. The Scott's is adjustable in this sense. The stock steering damper does noting to prevent/reduce head shake. It is quite literally not it's function.

I have tried most mods on my 09 and I can say without a doubt the Scotts stabilizer was the best mod ever. Nothing even comes close. I'd throw away the aftermarket exhaust and wheels and $800 of bling before getting rid of that.

You see my shock was botched but I was not going fast enough to really worry. The stability issues and twitchyness had me timid to go any faster. I was literally bound by the bike and felt too close to the edge at any speed higher than I was going. Ohh I figured I'd take the shock off and take it back to the shop next week which turned into next week which turned into next week, you know what I mean.

Well I put a Scotts Damper on and I now have a broke ankle, arm in 2 places and a snapped Femur. I broke it all because I went to ride the bike with the Scotts damper.

So what does a Damper have to do with broke bones? Well I WAS now going fast enough that the defect in the shock valving became a problem. It was all so easy I forgot about my shock "issues" and dropped the hammer and went from 5 laps normally to 20 laps and 20 seconds faster and then rolled on the throttle on a hit a lipped speed bump at 4th gear and the bike pitched and threw me like a 79 twin shock Elsinore. I can say absolutely without exaggeration that in my case I shaved 20 seconds off my lap times. It was all just so easy and for me not possible prior to the Damper.

The short version, put a PREMIUM Damper on the 09, get your suspension right and then hang on. The bike is nothing short of amazing.

I agree with DEGBTI. Remember, the stock damper is designed to work AFTER 15% off center. it's purpose it to reduce deflection in corners. A regular steering damper works off center and typically breaks free after 15% or so depending on brand and set up. The Scott's is adjustable in this sense. The stock steering damper does noting to prevent/reduce head shake. It is quite literally not it's function.

I have tried most mods on my 09 and I can say without a doubt the Scotts stabilizer was the best mod ever. Nothing even comes close. I'd throw away the aftermarket exhaust and wheels and $800 of bling before getting rid of that.

You see my shock was botched but I was not going fast enough to really worry. The stability issues and twitchyness had me timid to go any faster. I was literally bound by the bike and felt too close to the edge at any speed higher than I was going. Ohh I figured I'd take the shock off and take it back to the shop next week which turned into next week which turned into next week, you know what I mean.

Well I put a Scotts Damper on and I now have a broke ankle, arm in 2 places and a snapped Femur. I broke it all because I went to ride the bike with the Scotts damper.

So what does a Damper have to do with broke bones? Well I WAS now going fast enough that the defect in the shock valving became a problem. It was all so easy I forgot about my shock "issues" and dropped the hammer and went from 5 laps normally to 20 laps and 20 seconds faster and then rolled on the throttle on a hit a lipped speed bump at 4th gear and the bike pitched and threw me like a 79 twin shock Elsinore. I can say absolutely without exaggeration that in my case I shaved 20 seconds off my lap times. It was all just so easy and for me not possible prior to the Damper.

The short version, put a PREMIUM Damper on the 09, get your suspension right and then hang on. The bike is nothing short of amazing.

exactly!

sorry about the broken bones

I am still going to buy the tripple clamps tomorrow and next week (after my paycheck) I'm buying the Ohlins 2.1 I'll post reviews after I have some seat time with the mods.

Remember, the stock damper is designed to work AFTER 15% off center. it's purpose it to reduce deflection in corners.

I don't know exactly what its true purpose is (I'll take your word for it) but if anyone doubts that the stock damper does nothing for head shake then have them try this: next time your fork tubes are off just move the steering throught its full range side to side. You will notice that there is ZERO damping until it is quite a bit off center. So much off center that if you had head shake with that much deflection you'd be flying off the bike long before the actual shake. Try it.

Good luck.