94 Silverado with 5.7?

I'm looking at a 94 Z71 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.7L with 215 000km (that's 135 000 miles). The interior, body and frame look really clean with only a few rust bubbles on the front fenders (pretty good for a 16y.o. Canadian truck). I just took a look at it but didn't meet the owner, it was parked in front of a garage for the week end.

I don't know much about the trucks of that era. What's that engine like? How does the fuel consumption compare to newer models? Is there anything I should look for on these trucks? I drive around 15k miles a year and I don't plan on pulling anything bigger than a 6x12 enclosed trailer once or twice a week during summer. Would it be safe to keep it for 4-5 years without running into major problems? (not talking about normal maintenance, more about the expensive stuff like trannies and such).

Here's a link to the ad for those interested:

http://www.lespac.com/d-vehicules-camions-legers-levis-silverado-z-71-4x4--KKKaZZ21259528

Thanks a lot.

That's the old throttle body 350. Very reliable and simple to work on. Will get worse mileage than a newer model, and isnt a powerhouse, around 200HP but puts out almost 300 ftlb torque at 2400 rpm. It will work fine for towing, but just don't compare mpg to a newer chevy 5.3. The tranny is just about what the later models have, if its the 4l60 automatic. Pretty good and strong for that motor.

Overall these are solid trucks. In 1996 chevy went to the Vortec 5.7l which is more powerful, but the TBI motor is good too. That truck looks clean and well maintained. Take it for a driver and if its what you want go for it.

You can't go wrong with that truck.

I have a GMC extentended cab long bed 4x2 with 250'000 miles. It still runs and shifts great. I'm ashamed to say it have had very little TLC, but still goes great. I had to rebuild the tranny twice, but other than that it's had 1 water pump, and 1 idler arm since I bought it with 117'000 miles.

I get 13mpg, and it doesn't vary much.

I know have a 2001 ford PSD, and I think I prefer to drive my old GMC

I have a few friends with similar rides. The power with the Vortec 5.7s was much improved. One of my friends had over 200k miles on his 96 and it would walk all over the 5.0 in my F150 at the time, not to mention get better mileage. Not to mention those trucks ride really good, and parts are plentiful at the junkyards.

those are good pickups with general maintenance it should be good for a lot more miles. i am not a fan on the throttle body injection but it does work ok. in my opinion the 96 and up motors with multi port injection and vortec heads are quite a bit better but that pickup should last a long time. i currently drive a 1988 chevy half ton with that throttle body injection and my grandpa bought it brand new so i know how it has been taken care of but the odometer stopped at 136792 miles in 1991 and it has been about daily since then and although it has its problem it still does a good job of hauling me to class and hauling dirt bikes around. if it has been taken care of i would think its a pretty safe pickup.

ive done 4 fuel pumps on my 99 1500 obs that only got 126k miles.

Besides that its been a solid truck.

I forgot, I've also replaced the fuel pump 3 times, it has a Bosch fuel pump now, so shouldn't have to do it again.

I'm looking at a 94 Z71 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.7L with 215 000km (that's 135 000 miles). The interior, body and frame look really clean with only a few rust bubbles on the front fenders (pretty good for a 16y.o. Canadian truck). I just took a look at it but didn't meet the owner, it was parked in front of a garage for the week end.

I don't know much about the trucks of that era. What's that engine like? How does the fuel consumption compare to newer models? Is there anything I should look for on these trucks? I drive around 15k miles a year and I don't plan on pulling anything bigger than a 6x12 enclosed trailer once or twice a week during summer. Would it be safe to keep it for 4-5 years without running into major problems? (not talking about normal maintenance, more about the expensive stuff like trannies and such).

Here's a link to the ad for those interested:

http://www.lespac.com/d-vehicules-camions-legers-levis-silverado-z-71-4x4--KKKaZZ21259528

Thanks a lot.

I have the exact same truck but 2wd.

I get 17 running around local with the topper on, have gotten 20 on road trips, and 14-15 pulling my lo-pro V-nose 5x10 enclosed.

Never had a fuel pump failure.

The trans crapped the bed about 155k, which I can't really complain about, since the truck was 14 years old and all.

Things to look for-valve cover gasket leaks-the stock valve covers are thin tin and are center bolt design, they lose their "oomph" over time...I replaced mine with cast covers from Jeg's.

Intake gasket leaks....they like to leak oil over time, the aluminum intake doesn't like to seal up that well with the cast block, and they start to dribble. Mine is waiting for me to get the ambition to do it, parts are sitting there on the bench, just gotta find time.

If you're going to tow with it, bypass the in-the-radiator trans cooler (poor design) and install an externally mounted, stand-alone trans cooler. Reason being is, the trans cooler in the rad will never cool the trans fluid below whatever temp the coolant is (190-210).

Check the multi function switch to make sure everything works, they're known for having issues (turn, dimmer, wipers, cruise).

I have a 95 model 4X4.....its ok...not a power house.....really kind of sad..I pull a one bike box trailer...and there has been some hills that just kills it. Overall its a good truck....gas milage runs around 12 or so.....something to watch out for is the front wheel bearings....I had to replace both on the front and those things are around $200.00 a piece.......good luck.......

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. Still debating whether I put more money up front for a newer model that I could keep longer or get this one for cheap and live with the additional maintenance of an older truck.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. Still debating whether I put more money up front for a newer model that I could keep longer or get this one for cheap and live with the additional maintenance of an older truck.

More money will only get you something faster or more efficient. IMO that body style with the TBI is about as reliable and maintenance free as possible.