Sign in to follow this  

xr600 cam locking up

Hi all, just replaced the valves in my 94 xr600 and got it all timed up correctly and when i bolt then rocker cover down t locks up the cam and the rockers dont move So i took the cover off and looked for any signs of breakage but cant find any just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this happening as the bike was running fine b4 i bent an inlet valve. Thanks in advance

At top dead center of the piston,are the cam lobes pointing down?They should be if the timing is right..

That's all i can think of right now.

You didn't leave out the roll pins that sit at both ends of the cam did you? Without them, the cam will wander off center and jam on the casting.

Head-1.jpg

hi red yep got those in but without the cover on the cam goes around beautiful but when i put the cover on and even just the slightest tension on the middle bolt the cam locks up im buggered as to what it is ive checked the cover and forks and theres nothing worng with them at all cheers for now

Did you check your cam timing chain? Maybe it got caught into something. Spin the cam by turning the flywheel counter clock wise and see if it does. Gasket in the way maybe? My 2 cents.

ok cool thanks will try that tomorrowill let u know whats going on