Sign in to follow this  

Long live yuasa!!!!!

I just replaced my stock battery.I bought my bike new in 1997.Simply amazing.I of course replaced with the same.I just thought you all would like to know,and thanks for listening.

Very impressive - how many ks on the bike ? I replaced my 06 model battery after 2 years simply as a preventative measure before I went riding on Fraser Island (Largest sand island in the world) because I didn't like the idea of being stuck somewhere without the 'electric leg'. I still use the old battery as a power pack for running 12 volt stuff like fluro lights etc when I go camping and it's still kicking. I've never heard of a battery lasting as long as yours though-great stuff Yuasa.

So I must have 4 more years til my 01 needs replacing- cool

Why am I lucky to get a few years on my garden/lawn stuff??

I only have 16,000mi on the bike.When the battery died.....it was DEAD.Wouldn't hold a charge even for a few minutes.

I'll never buy anything but a Yuasa for my motorcycles and ATV's. They are the best. 👍 I thought I might have to replace the original Yuasa battery in my wifes 2004 Honda ATV last year. I forgot to turn the pump off on an ATV sprayer I had mounted on it. I went out a couple of days later and it was dead as a doornail. Charged it back up and it's still working good as new.

Anybody ever add water to theirs? Mine is an '06 with the sealed black Yuasa. It says a long oval stip over the opening for the cells that says "do not open" which of course I immediately disregarded. Upon pulling the caps out and shining lights down into the cells, it appears there is a white "gel" type material around the cells. No evidence of water in the battery. However, there is no literature on the battery stating that it is a "gel" cell battery. Any ideas?

The battery is a standard sealed battery where the battery acid is added at the time of purchase, then sealed with the black tap in cap, and then charged.

My battery was dead at the beginning of last riding season. Jump started it with the car and then it has been running ever since. My bike has been down all winter and to my surprise it started right up when I finished repairs this last week. Six months with no charging and fired right up like it was on the charger all along!

I'm not sure if this is a gel matting around the plates or just some type of other matting. If it is not a gel matting, then my battery definitely needs water as there was no water visisble.

The OEM Yuasa battery that comes with the late model DR650's is an AGM type battery. This is from Yuasa's web sight:

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology is an advanced battery design used in Yuasa's Maintenance Free Batteries that eliminates water loss. Once it's filled with acid the battery is permanently sealed - so you'll never need to fill it with water or check the acid level.

Long Life

Because of its lead calcium design, the AGM battery will hold its specific gravity more than three times longer than conventional lead antimony types. This means much longer periods between charges when the battery is used in a standby mode, like winter storage.

And to remain factory-fresh the AGM battery is shipped dry along with its own pack of high-gravity acid that's added at the time of installation.

Sealed, Non-spillable

Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and accessories.

So I guess if you are like me and pull the plug on your Yuasa MF battery, the white gel matting that surround each plate should appear moist or damp. There is no excess electrolyte to spill out. If your battery is not holding a charge, it might be worthwhile to pull the plug off of the top of the battery and inspect the matting. A little distilled water might revive your battery, however I would only add a small portion at a time to the cells needing it. You want all the water absorbed by the matting without any excess.