Sign in to follow this  

so i tried out a yz250 today

been looking for a woods bike to replace my drz400 for very tight nasty single track. after much research i decided on a yz250 and tried out a 2000 today.

HOLY COW 👍

ive ridden kx250s, built gsxrs, built zx10s, etc etc. This 250 i rode was insane, i was taking it ez and i still flew off the driveway into the woods. the power was ridiculous. yes it did lug fine but it would be a total waste i would never be able to hit the pipe where i ride and live through it, even if i tamed it down w FWW and a gnarly pipe.

so what i am asking is should i consider a yz125 (99-04 is in my price range) or just go green and find a kdx?

Funny, I had the exact same impressions when I tried one for the first time last year 👍

The power IS insane, but it is managable. You don't need to tame the bike IMO, you can control it with some riding time.

I hit the pipe all the time on hills and straights, I think you just need more riding time with it!

Sorry, I'm a huge yz250 fan so it's hard to talk people out of not using one.

The KDX is an excellent trail bike, but IMO the YZ250 is harder to outgrow.

yeah my 96 YZ250 is great through the woods, it is all rider control, it would be cool to have the wr gears with a yz250 or just buy the wr250 which is still 2 stroke and have a lower first gear for putting, as well as a larger tank for trails.

i have a 144 and i would think a 125 would be too little for me on a trail cause my 144 struggles on hills but does the job. Some times i wish ihad a 250 for that extra power on a hill so i dont have to clutch it. i would get the yz and learn to handle it cause yamaha still makes them and kawasaki does not in america. The only thing i noticed about a kdx is they seem to hold their value well.

well i am sick and tired of not being able to pin the throttle on a bike without injuring myself or get thrown in jail. i also want the lightest bike i can get without it being a trials. wrestling my 330+ lb armored drz over rocks and roots gets old real fast.

i supposed i could do a 250 and lug it around with the rare WOT moment but it would be a waste of a great motor imo.

i guess i answered my own question i am going to shop for a 125.

The 125 will work well for you. Light as a feather with plenty of power. The newer models have decent low end without much bog if jetted properly.

I would stick with a yz250. I do some nasty single track and its not hard to use a higher gear and lug it, if jetted right. ! of my buddys usto have a cr125 and would strogle on most of the hils we hit(but would make them).

well i am sick and tired of not being able to pin the throttle on a bike without injuring myself or get thrown in jail. i also want the lightest bike i can get without it being a trials. wrestling my 330+ lb armored drz over rocks and roots gets old real fast.

i supposed i could do a 250 and lug it around with the rare WOT moment but it would be a waste of a great motor imo.

i guess i answered my own question i am going to shop for a 125.

I ride trails and switched to a 250 mx bike from a 125.I like the 250 way better it take's way less clutch work and way less shifting.Get a 250 put a gnarly pipe or whatever low end pipe you want on it and adapt to it..

I ride a 09 fo fiddy yz and i just boght my 17 year old daughter a 250 yz,i have been riding a lot out in the desert to get in shape for motocross and i cannot keep my arse of that 250,rode it all day today and left my fo fiddy on the trailer,damn they are fun(two fiddys)keep it and get used to it i would say!!!!!!!!!

been looking for a woods bike to replace my drz400 for very tight nasty single track. after much research i decided on a yz250 and tried out a 2000 today.

HOLY COW🤣

ive ridden kx250s, built gsxrs, built zx10s, etc etc. This 250 i rode was insane, i was taking it ez and i still flew off the driveway into the woods. the power was ridiculous. yes it did lug fine but it would be a total waste i would never be able to hit the pipe where i ride and live through it, even if i tamed it down w FWW and a gnarly pipe.

so what i am asking is should i consider a yz125 (99-04 is in my price range) or just go green and find a kdx?

Get a YZ250, preferably 2005 and up 👍

5'6", 155-lb rider here man.

If you are afraid of the snap or the power, the G2 throttle cam system costs less than 80 bucks, and has a few quick change throttle cams. One of them is a longer pull throttle which helps to smooth out the power delivery. You can also adjust a little bit with sprockets and flywheel weights, but two or three rides should get you used to it. My yz still scares me for the first ten or fifteen minutes if I've been riding my wr450 for a while. After that though, I'm all smiles. 125s need pistons twice as often as 250 2 strokes and while fun in some places, they are not my favorite bike for climbing hills. The kdx won't scare you with the power, but the suspension will hold you back after a while. The klx's and kdx's have very cheap suspension that has no rebound adjustment. The yz250 also has a bigger aftermarket, and more used parts to be found for very cheap these days.

i always liked the kx and hated yz until i found a deal on one and test rode it. . . jizz in my pants. . .lol. . but foreal the yz blew my mind so i bought it and love it . . nicest bike ive owned you can see it in my garage . . still wouldn't trade it for anything but a 300 and up two stroke or a 500 or up four stroke. . but still it does work like big black did on rob and big. . . cmon son go big or go home get the yz

The other thing that I've done on my yz to help a bit in the woods or on sloppy days was to run the 18 inch wheel from my wr450. I keep a big fat tire on that 18 and a super hd tube. The weight of that setup helps to kind of zap some of the snap. When I am consistently riding the yz though, I switch back to the 19 with a lighter tire and normal tube.

The best upgrade I have on my YZ250 is the Rekluse clutch...I have a FWW and many other mods but the Rekluse seems to give me the best of both worlds...nice docile power delovery by riding up a gear in the nasty tight stuff but open it up and that monster comes to life and carrys me thorugh whatever I ask of it. The power is there when i need it but doesn't show up when i don't, kinda like a good mistress i suppose! :-)

Don't wanna throw a monkey wrench in your whole plan... but if you ride woods... why not ride a bike made for the woods???? Scrap the idea of a YZ all together... and buy a bike made for the woods??? If you are torn between a 125 and 250 then why not split the difference??? This is where the idea of the KDX comes back... Then you can go to the extreme and think about the Orange Kool-Aid if you wanna get really crazy. A KTM 200EXC or XCW is a bit more modern technology than the KDX but they are both sprung and geared more woods and less track. I guess you could always take a track oriented bike and mod the living snot out of it and compromise it in to a trail/woods bike.... or you could just buy a bike that was built for trails/woods then just tweak it to how you want it....just sayin... If you start with a woods bike... you can make a really great woods bike. If you start with with an MX bike... you can force it to be a marginally good woods bike! FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

Don't wanna throw a monkey wrench in your whole plan... but if you ride woods... why not ride a bike made for the woods???? Scrap the idea of a YZ all together... and buy a bike made for the woods??? If you are torn between a 125 and 250 then why not split the difference??? This is where the idea of the KDX comes back... Then you can go to the extreme and think about the Orange Kool-Aid if you wanna get really crazy. A KTM 200EXC or XCW is a bit more modern technology than the KDX but they are both sprung and geared more woods and less track. I guess you could always take a track oriented bike and mod the living snot out of it and compromise it in to a trail/woods bike.... or you could just buy a bike that was built for trails/woods then just tweak it to how you want it....just sayin... If you start with a woods bike... you can make a really great woods bike. If you start with with an MX bike... you can force it to be a marginally good woods bike! FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

that's what I was going to suggest. A ktm200 will be lighter but not as twitchy on the throttle. I've ridden a few and they are very nice for tight stuff.

There is absolutely no need for a yz250 if you don't have room to open it up a bit.

you can force it to be a marginally good woods bike! FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

There is NOTHING marginal about a properly built YZ 250.

the reason for looking at yz's is there are more to choose from. i have a 2k limit and the only 2 kdx's within 4 hours of me neither guy even bothered to reply to my emails.

i picked yz due to it being the best all around mx'er for woods compared to the other big 4.

i doubt ill find a nice orange for under 2k up here. sure if i found an xc-w i would be all over it, unlikely though.

i can however pick from a good selection of nice yz125s for around 1500 and still have money left over for any upgrade i wanted.

i am pretty much an offroad rookie i have ran the drz maybe 40 hours offroad just chugging around no clutch work hardly its like a tractor. i think a little 125 would be a good fun learning bike then i can think about a 250 after i have gotten used to riding a 2 stroke.

not really doing any hillclimbs or sand just goat trails and some light mud.

a "marginal woods bike"? holy smokes man, you've got to stop drinking before you sit down at your computer. The ONLY way the ktms are better in the woods is that they are an ungodly orange colour and your odds of being shot at by a gang of hillbilly hunters is reduced dramatically:thumbsup:

if you are worried about the overall performance, you probably will progress far faster by taking the time to ride the 125 to it's limits then moving on to a 250 and it will probably be a much funer journey.