Sign in to follow this  

6.9 mag quake baja; felt wide

All is good at Bajamar (north of ensendada) just a few roof tiles came off my moms house. As of 745 this am I still haven't heard from my friends in San Felipe. Left mess on voice mail and emailed.

All is good at Bajamar (north of ensendada) just a few roof tiles came off my moms house. As of 745 this am I still haven't heard from my friends in San Felipe. Left mess on voice mail and emailed.

San Felipe shook long and hard!

Way bigger and longer than Loma Preta.

We are 9 miles north of town and were in Petes camp when it hit no real damage but have not been to town yet.

South to Gonzaga tomorrow.

My folks live 42 klicks South of San Fel and a number of homes with structural damage. No injuries though.

Here is a video I took this morning leaving Mexicali. I had to take the La Rumarosa toll road to Otay Mesa where I was able to cross there. The West border in Mexicali was shut down due to structural damage and the East border was a 4 hour wait to get out.

I drove down to Mexicali after the Racers and Ranchers ride in Tecate to spend the next day with my fiancee (She lives there) and on Sunday, after lunch, we went to see a movie in town. Half way through it sounded like a freight train was running right next door. We didn't know right away what was going on until a big shock jolted the room and you could see the walls move in the theater. That's when I said, "Time to go baby!!" and I grabbed her and bolted for the emergency door below. I was in flip flops and slipped running down the stairs and slid to the bottom with girlfriend in tow. As I exited I thought that I'd see daylight but it was just an unmarked hallway. As soon as we entered the lights went out and it was pitch black and screaming people were coming up behind us. I found the next door and as I opened it about a hundred people were running from the lobby on my right to my left. As I looked objects were raining down from the ceiling. Huge tiles were shattering on the floor and flat screen TV's were falling down. The whole front of the lobby was glass and 3 huge plates shattered and came down. The entire building seemed to be coming down and I wanted out! I lost my girl for a second in all the chaos and screaming and as I recovered her we made our way through the back doors. Every car was rocking violently and it was difficult to keep your balance just standing there. There was a little girl who was just dropped off at the theater with her two young brothers that my girl was taking care of. She had slipped coming out and scraped up her arms and face. Her parents were nowhere to be found.

Within minutes there were fires here and there. Police were everywhere and sirens seemed to be coming from all directions. Car alarms were blaring from every car that had one and telephone poles were swaying. It felt like I was standing on a boat with swells constant for about a minute after. All the power was out and the traffic quickly turned a little panicky.

I took her back to her house. Damage was everywhere. I couldn't find a building that didn't have some kind of damage to it. Mostly glass and brickwork. There was a bank with all the windows blown out of it and no one was there at all being Easter Sunday. Front facades of buildings and hotels were crumbled to the sidewalk and cracks in the foundation could be seen all over the place. Cell service was extremely spotty and about 1 out of 10 calls would go through.

As the sun went down we drove out to find some tacos and the ones that were open had lines of up to 100 people. I struck a deal with one stand owner and drained a gallon of gas out of my bike so he could run his generator for some immediate tacos without a wait. I offered to pay but he was happy that I didn't try to bend him over for the gallon and he gave them to me. The west border was shut down and the east border couldn't be less than a 4 hour wait so I decided to stay. We slept in the back of my truck in her driveway so as not to be in a structure. There were 200+ reported aftershocks that night alone.

This morning (Monday) I tried the East (New) border. The back up was insane. Looked like 4 hours at least so I tried the West border again. No luck. I only had a 1/4 tank of gas so I went in search of a Pemex. Most that I found were out of gas and the rest had a line around the block. I luckily found one with a 20 minute wait and filled up the truck and my bike again and headed for La Rumarosa grade hwy 2. I had heard that boulders had shut it down but I was going for it anyway. That's where I shot the video below. You could see cracks all the way across the bottom of a hill and across the hwy 2 above the Salada lake bed. Fortunately they let us through. I was able to drive up the grade and as I did all kinds of Military vehicles with manned machine guns were heading down with Police in tow. Telephone cable service trucks were also headed down in droves. I crossed at Otay and was able to finally get home and back to work.

To say the least it was an interesting weekend.

I was near San Quintin during the quake and didn't feel a thing because I was walking around, but one of my neighbors felt it.

More incredible video...

The dust cloud hanging over the mountains is surreal! How bad is travel in this area?