Sign in to follow this  

2004 KLR 650--Good bike? Doohickey Mod?

I'm thinking of getting a 2004 KLR 650 with 1,700 miles on it ($2,900). I've never had a dual sport before and am kinda lost in the brands and styles. All of my bikes have been dirt bikes.

I like the KLR it seems like a nice bike. I mostly like to ride around the farm and on an occasional trail. Basically I want to know if this is a good dependable bike, priced right, and if there are any mods that should be done? Any opinions you guys might have about anything dual sport is also welcome.

Also, I've been reading about a doohickey mod, what is that and what's it do?

Thanks.

Ya pretty good.... in production over 20 years... well known world traveler... tons of mods & aftermarket etc. The Doo is a lever that tensions the balancer chains. The original is crap, the Eagle Mike one is good & costs $40 ... takes about an hour. There is a couple dedicated KLR sites and there are always tech days going on... plenty of help.

That's a deal. Go for it. I gave $3900 for my '04 with 800 miles on it. Great, cheap, modifiable, all-around, do everything bike.

Like Beezerboy said, get yourself onto one of the dedicated KLR sites and you'll learn tons.

I'm thinking of getting a 2004 KLR 650 with 1,700 miles on it ($2,900).

Doohicky: the balance shaft chain slack ajustment mechanism. On a KLR the factory part is brittle and known to break. results vary from nothing noticed all the way to engine exploding. All depends on luck. The Eagle Mike version is better material (there are some sites selling imitation parts as the part has such high demand).

+1 on the purchase of the KLR. I enjoy mine and as the others have said it's has plenty of aftermarket parts and is dependable ride. Your 04 has low miles so you have time to can tap into the KLR forum sites and do the doohickey or other mods in the future.

+1 on the purchase of the KLR. I enjoy mine and as the others have said it's has plenty of aftermarket parts and is dependable ride. Your 04 has low miles so you have time to can tap into the KLR forum sites and do the doohickey or other mods in the future.

How many miles before this "doohickey" needs to be changed? Do the newer models 09/10 have an upgraded "doohickey"?

There's not a specific mileage point for changing it. It's the balancer chain tensioner adjuster. It and it's spring are the only 2 things in an otherwise bulletproof engine that is prone to failure. And it may fail sooner rather than later or it may never fail.

The concensus is to replace it with the Eagle Mike parts to fend off any possibility of its failure and catastrophic engine damage.

I haven't kept up with the '09 and '10 models. They supposedly "improved" it for '08, but according to Eagle Mike, it's still sub par.

http://klr6500.tripod.com/broken-lever1.jpg

http://klr6500.tripod.com/broken-lever3.jpg

How many miles before this "doohickey" needs to be changed? Do the newer models 09/10 have an upgraded "doohickey"?

There's not a specific mileage point for changing it. It's the balancer chain tensioner adjuster. It and it's spring are the only 2 things in an otherwise bulletproof engine that is prone to failure. And it may fail sooner rather than later or it may never fail.

The concensus is to replace it with the Eagle Mike parts to fend off any possibility of its failure and catastrophic engine damage.

I haven't kept up with the '09 and '10 models. They supposedly "improved" it for '08, but according to Eagle Mike, it's still sub par.

http://klr6500.tripod.com/broken-lever1.jpg

http://klr6500.tripod.com/broken-lever3.jpg

Can anyone verify this? I'm dealing on a 2009 now. I might add that I'm no mechanic and just want this bike to be turn key!!

Thank you!!

I noticed in your first post you wanted dependable and your last post turn key. I don't think anything is truly turnkey. Almost everything needs tweeking for a perfect fit to you and all dual sports have some type of problem to overcome. After all they are a compromise. I researched for 2 years befor I settled on an 04 KLR. I paid 2600 for it with 11000 miles. Not a great deal but well taken care of and the doo had already been done. The 09 your looking at is better on road than the pre-08, but pre-08 is better on trails. Which ever one you choose DO THE DOO or at least ask if its been done. It is easy to do. There are a couple of vids on you tube of it. The doo was redesigned for 08 but is still inferior. In 43 years of riding, most of my bikes have been dual sports and after getting the KLR a year ago I don't think I will ever own anything else. I would sell my cage (read car or truck) first. Good luck and enjoy riding.