Wheel Help

Let me start by saying that I am no master mechanic. I mean I can put lifts on vehicles, change out alternators, change out brakes etc. But I am not a mechanical genius....I am an expert on teeth and that is about it.

I have a 2001 E model. My front rim had a ding in it. First question....how do I know if I can repair my rim or not?

So since my front rim and a ding, I will find something used....great found a nice Excel rim for a good price great!!!

Ok so I need to change my tire and tube out, first time I have ever done this. Great something new. I proceed to take my rotor off the original wheel....one of the allen bolts is froze, it stripped, oh crap, well cut slots in it, nope. Drill it out and retap, battery dead for drill. OK FINE...I will just go to my attic and get a spare rotor....ok moving on.

Get the tire and tube on the Excel wheel. Super, never done that before and it went well, not super but I got it done.🤣

Ok let's get this wheel on and take the bike for a spin with my new wheel. Ok put speedo drive on, put wheel spacer on slide axle on tighten up. Spin wheel....hmmm that's funny, the speedo drive is spinning, so take everything back off, and what do you know the hub does not have teeth for the speedo drive....CRAP now what?

This is my question. The rotor bolts up, axle fits, but my brake side spacer does not fit tightly like the original wheel and what do I do with the other side....do I need a spacer for that side as well? What's the deal with the brake side spacer, do I need to use a different size, if so what size, how do I figure this out???? I am so confused, I just thought I was going to swap this out and ride. 👍

Help me out please!!!

The front hub/wheel, and rear for that matter, should be centered between the forks. Spacer should be sized for this, including the speedo drive. It might be easier for you to not worry about the speedo & just get the wheel centered. For ~ $100 you can get a Trail Tech Vapor that will give you a the speedometer, temp, trip meter and adjustability for a lot of items. Take a look at it on their web site http://trailtech.net/ . For the DRZ this is the unit http://www.trailtech.net/75-301.html . There are hundreds who have these on their DRZs.

Ok that is fine, I was going to get a Vapor anyway, but back to the spacer question. My original spacer fit inside the hub....how do I know what size spacers to get? Do I just tell someone I have a DRZ and I am using an Excel wheel with factory looking hubs? I don't know where to go from here. This is my question, how do I figure out what size and kind of spacers I need?

Thanks.

Try posting some pics. Where did you get the wheel? Offroad bikes without speedo or odo will not have tabs.

Zeta makes special spacers that cancel the drive and are for guys that go to the Vapor, change wheels or just go pure offroad.

If you post pics someone who has a similar setup here on TT can help you out. I know I read a post where a TTer epoxied some tabs on a second front wheel to get the original speedo to work.