Sign in to follow this  

returning to the sport, need some advise on parts

well, I don't know if anyone remembers me anymore, but I used to be very active here about a year ago. My dad had a neck injury and we couldn't get out to ride for a long time. I'll be getting my licence this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to go out and ride with my other friends more. and this leads up to my questions....

I want a few new parts to improve performance, but I've lost my knowladge on the best parts and upgades ect...

1. so, my first question is, what is a good budget exhaust system for an '04 250X? I'm looking at the FMF powercore 4 stainless system for $269.99

2. secondly, I plan to cut the pink wire, and open up the airbox a little bit. Should I cut out holes in the airbox at all? No matter what, I plan on getting a twinair airfilter to help with intake a little bit. if i do cut holes in the airbox, I will cover the holes with a foam to try and reduce the dust. how much of this plan is a good idea?

3. handlebars... I really like the Pro taper contour bar, but what type of mount should i get? soft or hard? I'm guessing soft, but what advantages are there to hard mounts? Also, I've heard of people putting some insulation foam inside the handbar the reduce vibration, should I do this? I'll be throwing some pilow top grips on there. Anyone remember my "best grips?" thread? 👍 lol

4. anything else I should get for my '04 250X? its got less than 200 miles on it. everything is stock ATM.

I'm asking this now, so that i have a goal to save up for. when suggesting stuff, please remember that I am just a kid and may or may not even have a part time job this summer.

thanks again! It feels great to be heading back into the dirt bike world!

1. I'll buy your complete stock exhaust if its not dented to crap and you offer a fair price. Specifically my header pipe is dented and I don't fell like using the freezer technique.

2. Cut the airbox, remove the baffle and jet it. Use the CCC mod doc as a guide.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm#closedcoursemods

3. Not sure what kind of bars to suggest but I would factor in a rise if your taller than say 5'9" or will be.

4. Skid Plate, Acerbis hand guards, JD Jet kit, Motion Pro Fork Bleeders

Thanks. I'll look at skid plates. I forgot to mention I'm also getting a set of works connection radiatior braces. Brush guards are a good idea.

And, I'd be willing to sell the stock exhaust once I get the new FMF pipe. Mine is in perfect condition. It could be 2-3 months before I get it though. Maybe longer if I dint get a job.

1. so, my first question is, what is a good budget exhaust system for an '04 250X? I'm looking at the FMF powercore 4 stainless system for $269.99

I had great luck with the LEXX muffler from RockyMountain - it's also cheaper than the FMF.

2. secondly, I plan to cut the pink wire, and open up the airbox a little bit. Should I cut out holes in the airbox at all? No matter what, I plan on getting a twinair airfilter to help with intake a little bit. if i do cut holes in the airbox, I will cover the holes with a foam to try and reduce the dust. how much of this plan is a good idea?

By all means open up the airbox by cutting some of it out. There are a lot of threads here about how to do it and where to cut. They are called the CCC mods. just don't block the airbox with a foam that is too thick. I used the blue fiberglass material from the 99 cent furnace filters to keep junk out - it worked great. IMHO don't cut the pink wire unless u plan to get an aftermarket cam. A limiter is a good thing.

3. handlebars... I really like the Pro taper contour bar, but what type of mount should i get? soft or hard? I'm guessing soft, but what advantages are there to hard mounts? Also, I've heard of people putting some insulation foam inside the handbar the reduce vibration, should I do this? I'll be throwing some pilow top grips on there. Anyone remember my "best grips?" thread? 👍 lol

I personally liked the Renthal Kevlar grips. Also the stock bars are good renthal bars - if you have $$$ to burn knock yourself out, but I would save my money and keep the bars.

4. anything else I should get for my '04 250X? its got less than 200 miles on it. everything is stock ATM.

Certainly consider the JD jetting kit if u don't already have it. And the o-ring mod (lots of posts on this too). I would also seriously consider a Trials Tire for the rear. I have the Pirelli MT 43 and love it. i would get this before new bars any day.

I'm asking this now, so that i have a goal to save up for. when suggesting stuff, please remember that I am just a kid and may or may not even have a part time job this summer.

Don't get too caught up on spending money to make you a better rider. Seat time is all that will help. Save for a vehicle or trailer that will make it easier to get out to the trails before blowing it on "go-fast" parts.

thanks again! It feels great to be heading back into the dirt bike world!

Good luck and welcome back!!

Gasoline is the best mod to make you faster... put gas in the bike and ride as often as you can. I really hate it when someone blows by me on the trail and when I get back to the trail-head it is some old guy on a crusty beat-up POS bike...👍:banghead:🤣!

Ditto on the CCC mods. Just opening the airbox up the air-box and re-jetting results in more power at all rpms without giving up anything else. Use the jetting chart on the Rick Ramsey link as a starting point for jet size. You can use a JD jet kit which includes a bunch jet sizes, or for less money buy the individual jet sizes you need (Keihen carb). Changing the cam will give more top-end power, but you'll lose some end power. Depending on how you ride you may not want to do this.

Instead of a new pipe, for much less money (about $50-80) you can buy a used exhaust from a 250R off Ebay. It will get you most of the benefits of an aftermarket pipe. Just be careful, some years the 250R was single exhaust and some years dual exhaust. Only the single exhuast will fit the 250X.

Changing the cam will give more top-end power, but you'll lose some end power. Depending on how you ride you may not want to do this.

Instead of a new pipe, for much less money (about $50-80) you can buy a used exhaust from a 250R off Ebay. It will get you most of the benefits of an aftermarket pipe. Just be careful, some years the 250R was single exhaust and some years dual exhaust. Only the single exhuast will fit the 250X.

The 2005 250R exhaust increases the power throughout the entire range...you do not lose bottom end with this cam. The 04R and 06R cams are the same and add power in the upper RPM range and lose some at the bottom RPM range (like you said). The 2007+ cams are super aggressive and are not drop in replacements like the 2004-2006 250R cams.

The 2004 and 2005 CRF250R exhaust fits the 250X...only those years.

Ditto on the CCC mods. Just opening the airbox up the air-box and re-jetting results in more power at all rpms without giving up anything else. Use the jetting chart on the Rick Ramsey link as a starting point for jet size. You can use a JD jet kit which includes a bunch jet sizes, or for less money buy the individual jet sizes you need (Keihen carb). Changing the cam will give more top-end power, but you'll lose some end power. Depending on how you ride you may not want to do this.

+1 on the JD jet kit. Very nice to have different setups if you ride in vastly different altitudes and climates.

250R exhaust = no spark arrestor. So unless you only ride track or by a PMB end cap that might not be practical for you. You would not want to burn down any deserts or anything now would you:lol:

Welcome back good luck with your mods:thumbsup:

1. I'll buy your complete stock exhaust if its not dented to crap and you offer a fair price. Specifically my header pipe is dented and I don't fell like using the freezer technique.

If your still looking, I have a complete system off my '06. Brand new, no dents, put about 30 miles on it before replaced with aftermarket. $200 PM me if interested.