Sign in to follow this  

Little powder coating

I picked up a powder coating system 2 weeks ago. After a week of testing it out it was time to do a couple of parts on my bike. I think I'm up to about 30 as of today.

Before and after shots

crf450r10-25-2009001-1.jpg?t=1270425810

powdercoat5001.jpg?t=1270425998

The other side

crf450r10-25-2009003.jpg?t=1270426212

powdercoat5004.jpg?t=1270426369

dang just alittle bit and changed your whole bike. . . now lets see some work done to the drz 400 sm. .

holy that looks very nice!!

not a fan of the red part on the kickstart, otherwise its all a 10/10. definitely gave me some ideas as to what mine would look like if I powdercoated certain parts off my bike 👍

im also curious as to what powder coat system you got? hows the prep/process? messy?bike looks sick!

That sure is a night and day difference! How much do you figure that you have into the whole thing? I am kind of interested to see how much the powdercoating kit costs.....

Powder coat gun set up is a Chicago. Got it on sale for $60. Have about $15 in powder. Made a spray booth out of furnace filters $20. Picked up a toaster oven to cook the parts for free. Hi temp tape and hole plugs $20. Spent about 10 hours on youtube watching videos on how to P.C. So far the prep has been simple. I have a metal stripper down the street that stripped my side covers for free. Every thing else I just blasted with carb cleaner and a rag. You would have to try real hard to screw up powder coating it's that easy.

not a fan of the red part on the kickstart

Me either. It was an after thought when I was spraying the red. The part I don't like is the red exhaust tip. I plan on redoing it in black.

now lets see some work done to the drz 400 sm. .

I don't see that happening any time soon.

is that the kit from harbor freight?? im goin to have to try that out. thanks for the info!

is that the kit from harbor freight?? im goin to have to try that out. thanks for the info!

Yep. The red and flat black is from them also. Took a while to figure out what nozzle and air pressure to use (the directions suck at best) but once thats dialed in the rest is easy.

how much powder does it eat up?

I have blown through 2 pounds so far. Half was learning and testing.

looks good bud ....so what time do you want me to come over to do some of my parts 👍

you should post video of the process.that is if you want to. sure looks good though, damn!

Kind of off topic, but do you ride MX? If so, how do you like that kick stand? Does it ever get hung on anything?

Ps... the bike looks GREAT!

Kind of off topic, but do you ride MX? If so, how do you like that kick stand? Does it ever get hung on anything?

Ps... the bike looks GREAT!

I'll hit a track 2-3 times a year. To old, fat and slow. Kick stand rubs on the swing arm at times but has not hung up on anything at this point

you should post video of the process.that is if you want to. sure looks good though, damn!

Theres plenty of "how to powder coat" videos on youtube.

looks good bud ....so what time do you want me to come over to do some of my parts 👍

Any time. If I get enough biz lined up this lil hobby might pay for it's self

It definitely looks like an addiction that I could develop. The same problem that I had with polishing parts...once I start--I can't stop finding something new to do it to.

You work looks pretty nice.

Brake calipers, triple clamps and hubs are next. Right?

Brake calipers, triple clamps and hubs are next. Right?

Triple clamps, rear sprocket for sure. Hubs will have to wait until I have some time. Every time I look at the bike I find something else to powder.