Sign in to follow this  

Pitbike question in the forum with the smartest peeps..

Hey guys,

I got a little pitbike that tried to kill me by venting oil on the back tire well riding on the street.

Anyhow, I want to make a catch system just to avoid that in the future.

I know the SM guys do this for the race tracks.

Is there anything to worry about as far as creating back pressure etc etc.

Or can I just have it vent to a catch tank then vent to atmosphere?

No it spewed about .5 liter of oil covering the back tire and high siding me.

The bike is new to me but is pretty much new. It may have been a little overfull I did change the oil just before and was curious about the oil cooler possibly causing it to be over full.. but that made no sense.

I did notice the vent line is pinched against the engine and the swing arm bolt and could have caused it to pressure up and release. I don't know what else it could be.. whatever the case I don't like oil venting at my back tire anymore.

three broken ribs and broken arm and wrist and a ton of tissue damage will do that to a guy.

if it concerns you after you fix the kink just put a catch can on and have another hose from the can goin up high on the bike to vent

It's easy to overfill the oil on the Chinese bikes. They will spew oil if you fill it to the line on the dipstick (big bore, long stroke, small crankcase). A catch can that drains back to the case with a high vent hose helps a lot. Like Bink said^^^^