Fork mod foul up – Help!

I messed up. I removed 3 of the 7 shim washers in the forks to smooth out the ride in my son’s ’03 XR250R and when putting the left side back together I broke the center bolt shaft (the part that holds the shim stack together) as I tightened the 10mm nut. Ouch! Big mistake as the end broke off too short and there is not enough to retain the shim stack. Looks like I have to get the whole center bolt assembly which is $59 from Honda – Double Ouch! Any suggestions? Is there an aftermarket place to get these center bolt assemblies cheaper? XR’s Only maybe?

I don't think so. It's going to have to come from Honda. Unless you can find a used one on Ebay.

The 2 places I checked(BikeBandit and Service Honda) were $62 and $65 respectively.

Any suggestions? Is there an aftermarket place to get these center bolt assemblies cheaper? XR’s Only maybe?

Try http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/ its my local shop and they seem to always have good prices on their site.

Thanks for the suggestion, but although they seemed to have the best "price" by a bit, they wanted $20 for shipping that little fairly lightweight part making it the most expensive, instead putting it in a padded envelope and sending USPO for $1.91. Good for you if they are local, but not so much if shipped.

I guess that is a marketing strategy - beat the other guys on price, but make it up on S&H.

Thanks for the suggestion, but although they seemed to have the best "price" by a bit, they wanted $20 for shipping that little fairly lightweight part making it the most expensive, instead putting it in a padded envelope and sending USPO for $1.91. Good for you if they are local, but not so much if shipped.

I guess that is a marketing strategy - beat the other guys on price, but make it up on S&H.

It's known as the EBAY strategy.........👍