Sign in to follow this  

Over 40 racing enduro?

Wondering how many got into enduro racing post 40. It looks like alot of fun,are injuries fairly common. I got to keep workin........three kids.

I've been thinkin about getting into hare scrambles myself, just turned 40 last week. I think riding in the proper class and riding within yourself and you should be fine. I've been trying to convince myself I should race myself and the track, and not worry about the other riders, but that's easier said than done in my case.

While not 40 when I started racing(i use the term loosely!) enduros, I was in my late thirties. All I can say is that they are a blast! I'm over 40 now and still racing them. The cool thing with enduros is you have resets and sections with lower speed averages so you are not on the throttle the entire time. Plus you get to ride some fun technical sections. I say do it, ride your own pace and have fun. Worst case is it's a ribboned trail ride with 300 of your friends.

Thanks for the replys, thats what I'm thinking, Ride at good pace, and enjoy a nice and technical laid out course. I'm sure it will only make me a better rider, and a great way to meet some new riding buds!

Wondering how many got into enduro racing post 40. It looks like alot of fun,are injuries fairly common. I got to keep workin........three kids.

I started racing Enduros at 43, its a HOOT. There are some injuries but not like motorcross. Most races are done on tight single track for you do not have to deal with jumps or mass starts like in HS or Grand Prix. Good luck!

Whoop

Paul

the best thing about CC is that the race is long enough so it strings out pretty fast, and lapping isn't a big issue (whether you're doing it or receiving it!). SO you end up with someone ahead of you who's a LITTLE bit faster, and someone behind you who can push you just a little. It gives you constant feedback on your pace, which I like a lot.

I started riding enduros long before forty but my best season standings were when I was in my forties, so go for it. One thing about dirt bikes on trails is that you almost always have control over what happens, so be careful and wear the right gear. Enjoy the adventure.

Jeff,

I'm 54 and never road an enduro. Thats about to change this weekend. I will go up to the D-36 sawmill race. i will ride the family enduro saturday, and assuming all goes well - will imerse myself (as a sacrificial lamb) in the National race on sunday. come on out - we can try it out together!

Carl Johansson

I raced some as a youngster (early 20's) then not again until I was 47! The key is to not get caught up in the excitement and ride over your head. I have to keep reminding myself to ride within my limits and treat any race as more of a "Spirited" ride than anything else.

I have found that riding with the "Older Guys" it's much more about stamina than riding fast at the start. I've been able to do fairly well in my class and tend to make up most of my time in the last 1/4 of the race when others are totally beat and parked along side the course resting. A reasonable, safe, pace that you can maintain over the entire course will get you where you want to be. Also, making sure that you clear the tough hills on the first attempt is key. Having to try a couple times really saps your energy. I will often take a quick rest at the bottom of a tough hill just to make sure I'm mentally and physically ready to tackle it.

Now I will tell you that my first race weekend I crahsed 3 times harder than I've crashed in my last 20 years. Luckily not too much damage to the body but it did take a bite out of my checkbook. So as I said earlier, I now set my goals to 1) Not hurt myself, 2) Have a fun Ride, 3) Finish the race.

Hey Carl, Thanks for the invite, this weekend is out for me as I have to work. Wow, so the plan is for 50 mi. on sat. and the 80 mi. on sun., good for you! To this point 50 mi. rides get me a little sore the next day! Guess I have some work to do before I should attempt an 80 or 90 mi. race. Good luck to you this weekend, let us know how you do!

Regards,

Jeff

Hey Carl, Thanks for the invite, this weekend is out for me as I have to work. Wow, so the plan is for 50 mi. on sat. and the 80 mi. on sun., good for you! To this point 50 mi. rides get me a little sore the next day! Guess I have some work to do before I should attempt an 80 or 90 mi. race. Good luck to you this weekend, let us know how you do!

Regards,

Jeff

Yah the only thing I have going for me is that when I ride - we ride for 6 or 8 hours - a days riding is not even acceptable till we get 60 miles in - 75 is more normal. lately we have been trying to ride without any stopping - we rode 64 miles in a little under 1.5 hours last week - so i am moving in the right direction (I think)

I'll let you know!

Carl

Yup, folks get hurt, just a fact of life racing motorcycles, but it's all in your right wrist. Twist the throttle past your ability, and you find yourself taking a dirt sample. Start in the slowest class on your first race, and move up from there.

I'm over 50, and just signed up for both days of the Idaho City ISDE in the 2A class. I would ride the over 50 class, but they don't let the over 50 riders do the entire course. I will be with my two sons in the Expert class, so just decided to enter the same class as the boys are going to ride. My goal is to stay on my minute, and while I will give 100%, I know I will get smoked in the special tests, so shooting for at least mid-pack. I'm riding with my sons, one of which is in the Army and stationed at Ft. Irwin, so he doesn't get to ride with us very often. For me, that's reward enough.

The youngest...

IMG_1273.jpg

The oldest

Mattgoingbigonanuphill.jpg

It's all about perspective...

I'm almost 48 and just started racing desert in march. I've done two races so far and am having a blast. Like someone else stated, start slow and go from there.