Dr 650 Dropping out of second....

I have an 08 DR650 4600km and it has in the past a few times dropped out of second into neutral, but only rarely. Today on a bit of a rough hillclimb it did it 3 times in a row, tried a different part of the hill, just as rough and no problems.... I'm no to worried, just wondering if anyone has had similar problems, and if so any easy fixes.

Thanks

Mine did the same thing twice last year on the same trip. I changed the oil when I got back and never happened again. I chalked it up to the old oil not allowing a smooth shift and not fully engaging. At least I hope that's all it was.

I've done it a few times too. I think it is more me and not the bike. I don't think I get it all the way into the gear. It will catch 2nd gear for a second and fall out. It started after I raised the shift lever to get my mx boots to fit under there. I have to pretty much lift my leg to shift, especially from 1st to 2nd. The DR650 has a long throw from 1st to 2nd and I short it sometimes when I am rushed. It also happens when the bike is really hot but I think that is coincidence because of the type of riding I am doing at the time.

Yep, Happens to me on occasion, too, when I am shifting too quick and don't slam it all the way up into second from 1st...you have to REALLY bang it into 2nd, otherwise it will pop out under load and rev like a banshee...

Your... well, the "bike's" best bet is for you to hold up on the shift lever until after you've let out the clutch. This makes sure the shift drum has fully rotated to the detented position... especially for the 2nd gear shifts where the neutral detent position has to be passed by before getting to the 2nd gear detent. Stabbing, slamming, cramming and whacking are effective but a bit harder on the shifting components. 👍

Yep, Happens to me on occasion, too, when I am shifting too quick and don't slam it all the way up into second from 1st...you have to REALLY bang it into 2nd, otherwise it will pop out under load and rev like a banshee...

same thing mine does

My 01' DR 650 has the same problem and it happens very often. I am hoping my problem is in the gearshift mechanism itself. Going to be taking that apart tonight. If not, may have to get into the tranny.

Keep me posted on what you find, Very interesting.

I can't remember where, but I recently read about someone else having this problem (mine has done it also, but only once over the year I've owned it) - they said they changed the oil to a different brand/kind and it hasn't happened since. I'm a bit dubious, and DON'T want to start an oil debate, but I also don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

For the record, mine hasn't dropped out of 2nd with the straight 30w I'm running as HC piston break-in oil. I don't remember what I was running when it did it the once, and I'm not recommending you run straight 30w, just saying...

Hey I think anything is possible. It could be the oil. I am running 10W-40 Honda oil that I used to use for my CBR. I wil definatley try a heavier oil before I go and split the case. I took off the cover and everything looked OK, but I did not take anything off. There are screws that hold in the rest of the ge. I am going to wait to get the new gasket before I take the rest of it apart. I am hoping it is the gearshift cam because I think I can get to that without taking engine apart and splitting the case. I does slip out every time when I rev the motor and only in second. I am going to try MX rob's suggestion and see what happens also.

Hey I think anything is possible. It could be the oil. I am running 10W-40 Honda oil that I used to use for my CBR. I wil definatley try a heavier oil before I go and split the case. I took off the cover and everything looked OK, but I did not take anything off. There are screws that hold in the rest of the ge. I am going to wait to get the new gasket before I take the rest of it apart. I am hoping it is the gearshift cam because I think I can get to that without taking engine apart and splitting the case. I does slip out every time when I rev the motor and only in second. I am going to try MX rob's suggestion and see what happens also.

Every time? Yikes.... hopefully not a bent shift fork/worn shift dogs... that's complete tear-down time. 👍

When I first got my DR I had the same issue, like everyone else is saying.... moving the shift lever and getting used to the throw going into second cured the problem.

I've also had other bikes that wouldn't shift right if the wrong weight oil was used....