Sign in to follow this  

Porting Books?

Are there any really good how-to porting books? I want to know the technique as well as the equations to figure out the correct port time and etc.

geez its expensive! any place i can pick it up for cheap? I rather have a print copy than a digital

Are you looking for two stroke porting or four stroke porting? For two strokes, the book above, or the one by A. Graham Bell are both very good. For four strokes I have found a lot of very good information from Larry Widmer and David Vizard. I have a couple of Vizard's books, and he also has a lot on the internet for free that is good to read. Larry Widmer has a lot on the internet along with pictures and descriptions. These two are car guys, but the basics still apply, especially Widmer's work with racing 2 liter multivalve inline 4 engines, which are basically 4 mx engines strapped together.

Im mainly concerned with 2t porting but i want to also learn to port 4t in the future. Im just not about to spend 150$ for a book when i know i should be able to get for cheap somewhere.

You can get the two stroke yuners handbook on the internet for free, just do some searching, if you want it in paper just print it out and put it in a binder

do you have a printer? well then you can have it in print form for a fraction of what you would pay from a book store. 👍

:lame:well it looks like i don't have a choice, ill just to suck it up and print it out even though i hate digital copys:smashpc:

Join macdizzy.com, costs $20 per year but worth it. At first you might not understand what most of them are talking about but it will start to make sense after a while. Look through the range of articles in the section called 'Thread Spread'... there is some very valuable info here and its in the free part of the site so anyone can view it.

I started learning 2t porting a few years ago and its been a very rewarding road... dont expect it to happen quickly though... if you think you have some knowledge in 6 months time i guarantee you that in 2 years you'll realise how little you knew at 6 months! Dont mean to sound pessimistic but its not a topic that you can fully understand in a matter of weeks or months. Start by trying to understand port durations and head design, then move on to time-areas and other more complicated stuff. Dont try to learn it all at once cause you will be overloaded.

Read A Graham Bells book, Two Stroke Tuners handbook by Jennings and anything else you can find on the net (Bimotion has some good articles also).

Think about getting yourself some software... Ive got Bimotion head, TSR, and several other Excell based spreadsheet programs... these will really help you to understand what 2t porting is all about... you can enter the details of a particular engine and then change the numbers to see what different theoretical changes make the most difference.

Take good notes as you learn and keep them all together cause you will read over them very often.

Think about getting your hands on an old bike and doing a project... make a port map, determine the state of tune of the engine and then use A Graham Bells book to make some basic changes... practical experience is the best way to learn and will really help you understand the stuff you will read about.

Happy to offer you whatever advice i can along the way, feel free to PM me with any questions and ill answer them if i can.

Dave.

thats generally the plan i had in mind with getting the soft ware and cheap bike or cylinder. The jennings book is pretty good, lots of practical info. Is graham bell's book the same? Im manly concerned with knowing all math functions, ill ready know 80% of theory behind it.

thats generally the plan i had in mind with getting the soft ware and cheap bike or cylinder. The jennings book is pretty good, lots of practical info. Is graham bell's book the same? Im manly concerned with knowing all math functions, ill ready know 80% of theory behind it.

Bells book is slightly less technical and more based on his observations rather than maths, it's very good though and thee are plenty of tuners who seem to use this as a guide for their work. My copy sits beside the bed and I am always looking back through it. If you want maths look for blairs work.

I studied mechanical engineering and had a good understanding of the maths and theory behind 2 strokes before I started. Any sort of prior knowledge is a big help but nothing beats the hands on stuff.

Good luck.

are there any classes or anything for teaching this stuff? I would love to learn how to do this. I want to work on bikes for a living but i dont want to just be a mechanic or anything, i want to do some type of engineering work or something. But my major in college is criminal justice lol

are there any classes or anything for teaching this stuff? I would love to learn how to do this. I want to work on bikes for a living but i dont want to just be a mechanic or anything, i want to do some type of engineering work or something. But my major in college is criminal justice lol

Not sure about classes, nothing where i live in Australia, but there might be something in the US. If you really keen i'd ask several tuners if they will take you under their wing and teach you in return for working in their workshop... i tried this and have been told a flat no every time, but over here cause there are very few good tuners they all seem to be very unwilling to pass on knowledge, which i guess is fair enough... it might be different over there though, not sure.

If you really keen i'd ask several tuners if they will take you under their wing and teach you in return for working in their workshop... i tried this and have been told a flat no every time.

Same.