possible auto decomp failure?

Hey guys was hoping you could help me with something, just bought a 1995 xr600r about a month ago and have been working on it since.....when I bought the bike it had this clicking noise from the head or upper end of the motor, the noise does not go away ever hot or cold it is always their, I thought it was a valve loose and have since adjusted them and it is still their....the bike is super hard to kick over and when it decides to kick back it does so with some serious authority.....it hurts bad. I thought at first that this hard kicking was normal, after all it is a 600 right....well lets fast forward a bit to yesterday...I found a smoking deal on yet another 1995 xr600r and snatched it up, it is in way better shape than the bike in question and at first I thought it had really low compression, what I was feeling was the auto decomp actually doing its job, the new bike starts first kick and runs perfect. So with all that said the problem child bike that I was talking about in the first part of this post is obviously messed up, and I am almost certain the auto decomp is the culprit. My question is, what would cause the auto decomp to go haywire on me? Also if the decomp is the problem would it cause the bike to tick really loud, make the bike really hard to kick over, and lastly would it make it kick back so hard that it seriously makes me limp...I hate trying to start it cause it kills when it bites back.....are these symptoms of a screwed up auto decomp? Sorry for the long winded post, just trying to include the details....thanks for any help you can give.

Waterbar

A couple of things... Your first bike may have an aftermarket cam which doesn't use the autodecomp. The previous owner may have removed the autodecomp (they are prone to being a pain in the arse). The clicking noise is the failed autodecomp being a pain in the arse. Does the bike in question have a manual decomp? If so, learn "the drill" (search for it here in TT land). You may end up having to pull the cam out to dx the autodecomp if it is the culprit. Maybe it's time to "fix it faster" and spring for a Hotcam ­čĹŹ

i had a clicking noise on my pig, i stripped it and it was the little tab on the rocker arm that controls the lobe for the decomp put a new one in and it sounds like brand new also that feels alot easier to kick like my mates xr

Well Im going to go ahead and pull the valve cover off and have a look and see whats going on in there.....I might just have to look into a hotcam....what else should be replaced in the event I get a new hotcam?

Hey waterbar, pm me if you are looking for a hotcam. I just got done re-building my XR650L and I was going to use a hotcam. I bought it, installed it, could hardly get my bike to start with the e-start since the auto decomp had to be removed, and switched to a WebCam that is able to use the stock auto-decomp. To make a long story short, I've got a brand new hotcam that I am not going to use. I'll sell it to you cheap if you're interested.