how old to buy dirtbike

I`m 16 and am about to sell my yz for something diffrent. Latley my parents have been threatning me with taking my dirtbike, money from bike, or new bike and I`m tired of it. They say can because their name is on the bike. So I was wondering if there is a certain age you have to be to have one in your name if you pay cash.

I`m 16 and am about to sell my yz for something diffrent. Latley my parents have been threatning me with taking my dirtbike, money from bike, or new bike and I`m tired of it. They say can because their name is on the bike. So I was wondering if there is a certain age you have to be to have one in your name if you pay cash.

oh jeesh haha... usually it's 18, and yes, legally they have every right to do this, but morally it's wrong....

I dont know about the age thing but if they bought the bike and the title is in their name they are perfectly within their rights to do that. On the other hand, if you paid for it, paid them for it, worked it off, or earned it in some fasion then they are perhaps being unfair. Ask yourself why they are threating to do this to you. It sounds like they are pretty cool, they let you have a dirtbike in the first place, they are probably looking out for your best interests and trying to use the dirt bike to help persuade you to make good decisions. Just a guess. I was in a similar situation when I was your age and looking back thank my parents for their interest in my life. Good Luck.

16? listen to your parents!

yeah, dirt bikes are fun, but worst comes to worst, if you can't afford to pay for your basic amenities (shelter/food/utilities/life), then the ones that do have the last word...

I remember being 16 once, with strict, old-fashioned indian parents, and they continued to tell me what I could and couldn't buy until I had some cash in the bank to buffer myself, was in grad school, and my life finances under some of my own control...

but with that being said, I think the answer you want lies in the laws of your state. I'm not 100% sure, but as long as I filled out the right paperwork for a bill of sale and registration at the fish and game police, I was able to register and claim ownership of my own dirt bike in mass...

Its like they threaten me and get pissed over little stuff like cleaning my room, or feeding animals. They didn`t get pissed when me and my friend set the flat bed trailer on fire(accidently) or put the dirtbike in the living room to work on it. Its so stupid they get mad over little stuff insted of big stuff.

Its like they threaten me and get pissed over little stuff like cleaning my room, or feeding animals. They didn`t get pissed when me and my friend set the flat bed trailer on fire(accidently) or put the dirtbike in the living room to work on it. Its so stupid they get mad over little stuff insted of big stuff.

Accidents happen and it says a lot about your parents that they are understanding about them. Neglecting your chores or small things that they ask you to do is completely different. It shows disrespect and even contempt for them.

cleang your room and dealing with animals are easy as heck compared to the ruthless world out there when you set out on your own trying to make a buck. they are trying to prepare you for that reality and you wont see it for probably 10 more years. yeah, i know....you already DO see that ( no you do not....believe me).

Joe

If your old enough for government identification then you are old enough to register a vehicle.

Here you must be 13 or 14 for gov id.

14 for bike license or learner lic for car,

16 for drvers for car

In Idaho there is no real age limit on having your name on a title. i bought my first car at 15 and was the only name on the title. first dirt bike at 16 with only me on the title but you cant get insurance on anything till you are 18. so ya you probably could just go buy it but even if your name is the only one on the title i am pretty sure your parents have power of attorney over you because you are a minor. which means they can do what they want since they are responsible for you. and even if they cant "take away" your dirt bike their is other things they can do to make life suck. but on the other hand i know how you feel which is why i just brought home my first dirt bike one day which my parents were completely against. but i was always in the mind set of easier to ask forgiveness then permission. but three road bikes two dirt bikes a pickup and a car later i am not so sure. but since i moved out over three years ago i dont have that problem anymore.

I think you should just get your act together and keep them happy so you can have more freedom from them trusting you.

Law school drop out here to help. You can enter into a contract and it is voidable only by you. Buy a bike cash and don't tell them you are 16 (unless they ask), put the title in your name. Your parents can't screw you even if you wanted, the contract is voidable SOLELY at the minors option.

P.S. I bought a truck when I was 16 in CA and put it in my name at DMV and there were no problems.

P.P.S. You are probably going to piss your parents off. ? Can you hide your bike at a friend's house or something until you are 18??

P.P.P.S. Clean rooms are totally overrated. ?

Edited by Kellyannam

yamha racer 101 - i feel your pain ... when i was 16 my parents got on my nerves! It was every thing from clean your room to you can't park a dirty bike or tuck in the grage! They never got pissed about all the tickets and stupid mistakes! well you are young live your teen age years good!

Talk like this and not doing your chores are a big show of disrespect toward your parents. I don't can who's name is on the title. If I say to do something it better be done without having to be told twice and done right or the bike is put up or sold if there any whining about it... Do you really think your parents are really so bad....or is it you just don't get your petty little way...

At 16 it's time to grow-up and do what you know is right. One thing I never put up with it disrespect from my kids. Once, my oldest at 16 thought he wanted to leave because I would give in. So I help him right out the door along with some of his close and I took my truck keys that he help pay for.. Two hours later he was wanting back in saying how wrong he was....

Good Luck and I really hope your parents don't read this. Could be bad if I did.

Law school drop out here to help. You can enter into a contract and it is voidable only by you. Buy a bike cash and don't tell them you are 16 (unless they ask), put the title in your name. Your parents can't screw you even if you wanted, the contract is voidable SOLELY at the minors option.

P.S. I bought a truck when I was 16 in CA and put it in my name at DMV and there were no problems.

P.P.S. You are probably going to piss your parents off. ? Can you hide your bike at a friend's house or something until you are 18??

P.P.P.S. Clean rooms are totally overrated. ?

Advice like this would get you kicked out of my house because this guy would disrespect his parents just to get his way. Is it really worth that... Don't think your dad would do that????? Really piss on his leg like that and see...he may surprise you

Advice like this would get you kicked out of my house because this guy would disrespect his parents just to get his way. Is it really worth that... Don't think your dad would do that????? Really piss on his leg like that and see...he may surprise you

Lol I was being sarcastic (but still trying to tell him what the deal with buying was) of course it's going to really piss your parents off and it's not really worth it because you have to deal with them for 2 more years.

But for the record I think his parents are being unreasonable. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, I could understand getting bad grades, but an unclean room and going straight for the bike/bike money? Not cool. If you want to see kids really rebel, take away a hobby they love and see what "new" thing (and new non-riding friends) they find to keep themselves busy.

One of the reasons you're not in law school any more. You didn't understand the "My house, my rules" law overrides all. ?

But for the record I think his parents are being unreasonable. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, I could understand getting bad grades, but an unclean room and going straight for the bike/bike money? Not cool. If you want to see kids really rebel, take away a hobby they love and see what "new" thing (and new non-riding friends) they find to keep themselves busy.

How do you know the parents are being unreasonable and the punishment doesn't fit the crime? For all we know, the lad might be a right little shit who is driving his parents to the end of their tether. I can see him now having a right paddy going "if you take my bike then I'll just go and buy another", and then crying in the corner when he realises he hasn't got any money to buy one ?

How do you know the parents are being unreasonable and the punishment doesn't fit the crime? For all we know, the lad might be a right little shit who is driving his parents to the end of their tether. I can see him now having a right paddy going "if you take my bike then I'll just go and buy another", and then crying in the corner when he realises he hasn't got any money to buy one ?

True. For all I know though he just said it was punishment for not cleaning his room/feeding the animals, and if that's the case I would just take away his track time (or trail time).

I think it would be more effective to know your bike is waiting in the garage but you can't touch it unless all of your chores for the week have been finished. I think that would be kind of a motivating factor, because of course he is going to want to ride. I just see completely taking his bike/bike money away as a way to start a huge conflict, and the last thing you want is for a 16 year old to completely rebel, because sometimes you can "fix them" and sometimes you can't. I think it is better to just not go there and set reasonable restrictions.

Trust me, having a bike sitting in a garage and only being able to dream about it/think about it all day and all night will get chores done QUICK, then he will get into the habit of it.

But for the record I think his parents are being unreasonable. The punishment doesn't fit the crime,

{{I could understand getting bad grades, but an unclean room and going straight for the bike/bike money? Not cool.}}

How do you know it's not his grades??? Did you bother to check out his spelling???? it need some work...

Lol I was being sarcastic (but still trying to tell him what the deal with buying was) of course it's going to really piss your parents off and it's not really worth it because you have to deal with them for 2 more years.

I`m probably moving in with my friend this summer. His dad is covering everything but food and gas for my truck. My parents are divorced and my dad doesn`t like my mom and stepdad either. So he said I could have one of his trucks and he would help me with money if I needed it.