Gel Seat Will Soon Go!

Been using the gel set for about 1200 miles. Most have been short trips around town (1 Hour max). I did my first long haul through the mountains last Saturday (approx 7 hours). My ass is still sore. The gel seat will definitely go.

I've heard lots of good things about the Renazco. I have a Corbin on my Yamaha and I'm pretty happy with that. Has anyone been on a Corbin for a day long ride? I was just wondering how it compares to the Renazco in terms of comfort and height. Prices are about the same I think.

OK so i picked up a Corbin and road 2 hours with it today. Much better in the comfort area but its back to almost stock height. No issues since i can still plant both feet on the pavement....gel seat will be on ebay this week....

I've actually been considering a gel seat for the height advantage and I'm wanting an all black seat. I was wondering if you think it's worse than the stock seat, comfort-wise?

I did see one on ebay for $50 that a guy was selling because he didn't like it either. Thought is might be yours, but it's in PA.

Thanks for the post.

• 1 month later...
I've actually been considering a gel seat for the height advantage and I'm wanting an all black seat. I was wondering if you think it's worse than the stock seat, comfort-wise?

I did see one on ebay for $50 that a guy was selling because he didn't like it either. Thought is might be yours, but it's in PA.

Thanks for the post.

The gel seat is better comfort-wise than stock IMO but there seem to be tons of guys that hate the gel seat. I am in the minority I'm pretty sure. For 50 bucks I would try it and if you don't like it, it shouldn't be that hard to get your $ back at that price. I can't imagine anyone thinks it worse than stock. It would have to have petrified gel in it to accomplish that.

Spent 5 hours in the saddle last Monday, butt starts going numb after a couple of hours. Had to stand on the pegs between corners. Not a fan of gel seats and can not give up any seat height. I am interested in a used Renazco seat.

5 hours! you are tougher than me. My ass wouldn't last an hour on the gel seat. I've done several all day rides now with the Cobin. I'm 5"8, my in seam is about 31-32 and height on the DR650 (standard shock setting) is not an issue for me with the Cobin. I think Corbin can also make the seat a bit shorter if you special order.

I just did two 5 x hour days, back to back using the stock seat on my Dr650. I did just under 900km over the two days ... and I'm definitely going to check out a better seat ! I thought I could tough it out and stay with the stock seat, but its just not a lot of fun riding that far with a sore butt !! ??

I definitely won't be going the Gel seat way though ....

I've had two Dr's... One of em had the gel seat and that sucker tore me up after like 20 minutes. I had to chuck that thing out. Put a Corbin on that bike and it did sit higher, but I could ride a 500 mile day and not squirm once.

Got a Sargent low on this bike. I like the fact that it's lower and I'm out of the wind a bit more then the Corbin, it changes the riding position a bit. Not as comfortable as the Corbin, but darn close. I do like the flat footed thing with the Sargent seat since it is lower then both a stock seat and Corbin by maybe an inch or so.

If you don't have a reach problem with your feet, I'd go with the Corbin, if you need that extra inch closer to the ground, go with Sargent or better yet, find out if Corbin can make you a lower seat then the stock height they offer.

That Gel seat sucked big time. I would not let my worse enemy sit on that thing all day. I have never had a seat hurt me that much...crazy.

Rick, Sacramento Cal.

I just had my old one repadded and recovered,nice and confy.

18-1.jpg

That's what I plan to do.

On other bikes I have owned, I have put custom seats on them, from local businesses.

Corban's or Sargent's aren't a viable option for us to buy in New Zealand, as we would have to import them from the USA, and the cost would be prohibitive ... shame really, as I wouldn't mind trying either of those seats as I've read so much about them, and all positive reports !!

On other bikes I have owned, I have put custom seats on them, from local businesses.

Corban's or Sargent's aren't a viable option for us to buy in New Zealand, as we would have to import them from the USA, and the cost would be prohibitive ... shame really, as I wouldn't mind trying either of those seats as I've read so much about them, and all positive reports !!

Well, it would take quite the engineering effort to design a worse seat than the stock DR650's so almost anything short of 4X6 timber will get positive reports... in fact, properly shaped timber might edge out the DR's pillion.? But seriously, why not try out a John Moorhouse or Guzzler seat? I'm sure they'd be able to transform the stock DR seat... and they are in your neck of the woods. ?

I was charged 40$,but that was 4 years ago.