Sign in to follow this  

Buzzz sound at higher rpms

I picked up a 2005 DRZs recently and have ridden it around a bit but not too much. I have however noticed a quite distinct BUZZZ sound when the engine hits some point fairly high in it's RPMs. Without a tach I have no idea when it makes the noise but it's definitely at the higher rpms although I don't think I'm really revving the thing terribly high.. But the noise always makes me up-shift instantly since it freaks me out..

My question is, "what do you think the noise is?".. Something in the engine or some loose bolt somewhere causing a loud hyper-rattle at a certain RPM?

you can hear it here.. At about 0:40 seconds in there is a rather obvious example of the noise.. (also at 0:34, 1:07)

http://vimeo.com/10681212

It's freaking me out a little. And it's a new to me bike so all I can think to do (if anything is needed) is to hunt around for anything a little loose or possibly check the MCCT adjustment and make sure that's not some crazy timing chain noise.. However the MCCT seems like an unlikely culprit..

any other ideas?

PS the bike is a 2005 DRZs with 3500 miles, 3x3 mod, rejetted, yoshi exhaust (I'm running it with the plug in), and MCCT installed. All work done by previous owner.

Before searching internally, I'd be going from one end to the other looking for loose fasteners on things like skid plates, plastics, exhaust, etc.

Mine made a similar sound, and it turned out I had a rock in my skid plate....drove me nuts searching for that.

thanks for the info.. It doesn't sound like resonance from the airbox to me so I lean more towards a loose fastener or the skid plate being bent up against the frame or something.. But just the fact that it's not some known engine issue eases my concern. I'll try to hunt down the noise this week..

Like the guys have said , check all of your external fasteners , bolts and stuff . I also had a sound kicking in at higher rpm`s . Finally traced it down to the clutch lever vibrating . All it needed was a shim and then the noise was gone , greg

thanks for the info.. It doesn't sound like resonance from the airbox to me so I lean more towards a loose fastener or the skid plate being bent up against the frame or something.. But just the fact that it's not some known engine issue eases my concern. I'll try to hunt down the noise this week..

don't discount the resonace fact.....

with the 3x3 mod, most drz's make the noise.

been reading many years here, any your question comes around

often, ending with the same answer. air box

i bet the nosie is repeatable, someware around 63-68mph area?

If you have a aftermarket skid plate remove it and see if it stops making the noise. Had it happen to me. I cut up a old inner tube and put strips of it between the frame and skid plate and it worked perfectly. Good luck.

Mine has a vibration/resonance that kicks in just before 5K rpm and usually is gone by 6K or so. Drives me nuts when on the road (did a 400 mile ride over 2 days last week and about sent me over the wall). Thankfully, we spend more time off road than on. Mine is an exceptionally noisy engine, but since it hasn't grenaded in over 5K miles and all the loctite fixes are done, I just ride it.

My high RPM buzz is from the junk stock clutch lever. If I just touch it a bit while riding the buzz goes away. Look forward to getting an aftermarket lever someday. Hope this helps.