Sign in to follow this  

Utah Utah rider education certificate for 8-16 year olds.

Had an unplanned scenario this past week over in White wash/Green River, Utah. The group we had been planning our ride with had let all parties involved know about the registrations that are required for non-resident OHV's in Utah.

We weren't aware of the the rider education certificates for the kids aged 8-16. Just wanted to post this up in case anyone headed that way looks and won't be shocked like we were because we didn't have the information. These on-line courses are $30 per kid and they are valid until they get a drivers liscense . Here is the link:

http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/education

As it was explained to us, my 6 year old isn't allowed to ride in the state of Utah. Period. Not even around the camp. I was a little disappointed that the bike shop in Grand Junction didn't have, or offer, any brochures for Utah that would have clued us in while buying the Utah registrations for the bikes we had with us. Never mind the money spent registering a bike that wasn't supposed to be ridden on public lands in Utah.

All I can say now is I'll be checking any states OHV requirements before planning and travelling for future trips. Less drama and hassel with "Ranger Rick" types.

This was unexpected:

Persons at least 8 years of age and under 18 years of age may operate an OHV on a public highway that is open to motor vehicle use and not reserved exclusively for OHVs only if they:

Have an approved safety education certificate and …

Are under the direct supervision–oversight at a distance of no more than 300 feet such that visual contact is maintained and advice and assistance can be given and received– of a person who is at least 18 years of age.

Does it mean my kid can ride his unplated bike on a DS ride if I supervise him? Strange.

My little girl rides everywhere with me,these freaking idiots trying to tell me she can`t(utah leos)ride can just bite me,but they want me register her bike an pay taxes even thou she cannot ride on public land(2 big birdie fingers placed here).Education for riding is good but a age limit is not:foul:

This is ridiculous. There are 6 year olds out there, who have been riding and racing half their young lives and can out ride a good number of older riders. Another example of the goverment thinking they can do a better job raising one's kids than the parents! 👍

I've been going through their rider education on-line stuff...why would a kid under 16 need to know how to attach a trailer to a tow vehicle and the way to secure their OHV to the trailer and then drive said tow vehicle with trailer and OHV with the extra caution and skill to compensate for the added equipment weight. ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS.

I did the online training with my kids, major pita! We had a ranger check us, he didn't mind the underaged kids riding around camp, but gave us a ticket for not having the atv registered! I didn't think it had to if it was <49cc's. He said he would not send the $130 dollar ticket in if we paid the 20 bucks to register it. So, I guess we'll pay all the taxes ect...

There is an online safety program offered through Oregon that is FREE. We just got back from White Wash, and had no issues because we had registration and the plastic cards.

http://www.rideatvoregon.org/

FREE safety education!!! As it should be.......too much government.....

Had an unplanned scenario this past week over in White wash/Green River, Utah. The group we had been planning our ride with had let all parties involved know about the registrations that are required for non-resident OHV's in Utah.

We weren't aware of the the rider education certificates for the kids aged 8-16. Just wanted to post this up in case anyone headed that way looks and won't be shocked like we were because we didn't have the information. These on-line courses are $30 per kid and they are valid until they get a drivers liscense . Here is the link:

http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/education

As it was explained to us, my 6 year old isn't allowed to ride in the state of Utah. Period. Not even around the camp. I was a little disappointed that the bike shop in Grand Junction didn't have, or offer, any brochures for Utah that would have clued us in while buying the Utah registrations for the bikes we had with us. Never mind the money spent registering a bike that wasn't supposed to be ridden on public lands in Utah.

All I can say now is I'll be checking any states OHV requirements before planning and travelling for future trips. Less drama and hassel with "Ranger Rick" types.

I understand your frustration. The motorcycle shops in CO are not interested in educating you or anyone else. They love the fact that people have to come into their shops and buy permits. I spoke to one of the shop owners here in Grand Junction. He will not advocate against the Colorado non-reciprocation. He said the Utah OHV permits bring too many people into his shop and they usually purchase something else along with the permit.

It frustrates me that Colorado govt is trying to gouge everyone so badly. I would even be willing to pay more for an OHV tag if Colorado would reciprocate to other states like we used to do.

Regards,

Thomas

My education consisted by my dad buying me a bike,helmet,gloves(1969)and taking us places to ride!My 6 year old started on her pw50 at the ripe old age of three and she knows to always wear her gear even when putting around,she knows when we get to where we are riding to always go slow first lap and check out the riding areas for hidden dangers.R ider Education is taught in the riding areas not in front of a freaking computer!!!!One day all of us spineless people will stand up to these lawmakers and demand parent rights,who needs new freaking laws when we do not even know the millons of laws now!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I understand it this all comes about because of hunting, folks from other states were coming into to Colorado during hunting seasons and taking what they could and not having to pay for much of anything, probably same for the trail riders also.

But I dont have a problem with this. I dont have any issue paying a few bucks to ride in Utah or Colorado or wherever as long as I have a place to ride.

As far as the youth rules go it sucks, but I am not surprised, I have seen things that just blow me away, and I am sure when attorneys and law suits are involved it makes the local government want to protect themselves. I have plenty of stories about things like and I bet that we have as great danger of loosing riding areas due to accidents and injury as we do with land issues, we have a legal sensitive government these days.

Sad.