Done with the DR . . . for now

Well, the DR and I went sliding through an intersection tonight - separate from one another! No bad damage; the plastic end cap of my Cycra Pro Bends, the tip of the kick stand, the underside of the left foot peg, and the bottom tip of the left fork leg are scuffed up. No broken turn signals or road rash anywhere else - it could have been a lot worse. I do have a few scuffs on my jacket, riding pants, and helmet, however. My ribs and thigh are a little sore, but nothing significant.

Any way, I was turning left after the light turned green, while behind two cars, and halfway throught the intersection I went down without warning - it was immediate! Fortunately, there were no cars behind me. As I was getting up and walking toward the poor DR I immediately thought that I hit oil on the road. I got the DR up and to the side of the road, then walked back to the center of the intersection to inspect the road in order to figure out just what went wrong. By that time, the truck that was in front of me doubled back to see if I was okay (great human being!). He aimed his headlights into the intersection and, sure enough, there was a large streak of oil, about three inches wide, in the turn lane all the way through intersection 👍

I was born and raised in Florida, and I've also lived in New York, Alabama (twice), Alaska, and now Louisiana; I've found that the worst roads and worst drivers are here - hands down! Since moving here I've been uneasy about riding on the street due to the amount of traffic and absolute ignorance of local drivers (New Orleans area). I began wearing a flourescent yellow surveyor's vest over my riding jacket, and I installed a pathBlazer and tailBlazer with a second tail light in order to be more visible/safe. For the street I've owned a 2000 Yamaha R6, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 750, and now the DR, and I've never been down - until tonight! From 35 hp (DR) to 135 hp (GSX-R) I've had no issues, but now the streak is over. Okay, I'm venting a little.

So, anybody looking for a well-maintained, always garaged, nicely equipped 2007 DR with 6,500 miles? It tears me up to sell it because it's been my favorite bike, but while I'm living here I'm going to stay off the street and switch over to MX/trails only (I'll definitely get another DR once I move elsewhere). What do y'all recommend for track/trail duties for me? I'm 5'10", 175 lbs. I haven't ridden a MX bike since my 1990 RM-80 when I was 15. Should I go 2-stroke (if so, 125 or 250?) or 4-stroke (250 only - 450 would be too much for me)? Also, anybody recommend a particular brand or year? I'm thinking that I can just pick any color ('07 and newer) and ride, because all are fairly equal.

Thank you all for your countless answered questions, tech help, insight, DR mod inspiration, and fellowship! I'll still be around!

I know a super ktm 250 EXC for only $1900. Test road it yesterday, newer suspension and top end, it's an 03. I'd but it but already have a KX250 and a KDX (I'd sell that for $1300, runs great and has all sorts of aftermarket. Just down I 10, 1100 miles (-:

nice to see some one that wears all the gear:thumbsup:

I say keep the dr and along with the tire and sprocket changes strip off your mirrors, turn signals, and license plate. This leaves less stuff for the trees and rocks to tare off

Do this and when(or if) you move you won't have to get another bike for the street just put everything back on, switch tires and sprocket back. 👍

Keep your DR , one of the most reliable bikes you can have for on and off use , as for 2 smokes unless you were interested in rebuilding your engine every couple o rides id stay well clear, sorry to hear you had an off m8 but thats just riding experience , imagine you were still on your gixer , and went down on the exhaust side youd prob need new muffler side plastic,front cowl rear cowl bar end, brake lever indicators engine casing and probs a bit more $$$$$$$$ I bought my dr just over a year ago as a second bike lost count of the amount of times ive fell off on dirt ok its an old 1991 kicker so dont care about how it looks but value for money and reliabilty the DR is brilliant keep it man

Keep your DR , one of the most reliable bikes you can have for on and off use , I bought my dr just over a year ago as a second bike lost count of the amount of times ive fell off on dirt ok its an old 1991 kicker so dont care about how it looks but value for money and reliabilty the DR is brilliant keep it man

+1

I bought my DR when it was practically brand new, 2400k's on the clock and not a scratch anywhere. Almost brought me to tears the first time I dropped it. New bikes are such a pain in the ass for that reason, you spend too much time caringa bout unimportant things (looks) and not enough appreciating and enjoying it for what it is.

Anyway once that happened a few times I stopped meticulously cleaning and caring for it and just gave it hell🤣 no bike i've known (aside from the XR600's maybe) can take such a massive beating and not complain. I've had a few issues that were my fault (pipe ripping off cause I didn't isolate the vibration, cush drive bearings exploding cause I didn't change them etc) but it's still thumping happily at 40,000k's on stock internals. IMO the DR is not worth anything financially, so you sell it for maybe a couple grand, that's not gonna make you any happier. But the bike itself certainly will 👍

I bet the "tonight" had something to do with it. Reflections and road surfaces can be deceiving at night. Staying out of the center of a lane is always a good idea but not always a reality that can be achieved. It's a bummer the soil sample had to be asphalt... good that major injuries were avoided. I have to concur with the "keep the DR" group. Take a rest and reflect on the situation and outcome. 👍

Keep your DR , one of the most reliable bikes you can have for on and off use , as for 2 smokes unless you were interested in rebuilding your engine every couple o rides id stay well clear, sorry to hear you had an off m8 but thats just riding experience , imagine you were still on your gixer , and went down on the exhaust side youd prob need new muffler side plastic,front cowl rear cowl bar end, brake lever indicators engine casing and probs a bit more $$$$$$$$ I bought my dr just over a year ago as a second bike lost count of the amount of times ive fell off on dirt ok its an old 1991 kicker so dont care about how it looks but value for money and reliabilty the DR is brilliant keep it man

Oh ye of the Olde School. 80 hours on a 1981 Suzuki PE250 with a Wiseco piston (and full do not trust the previous onwer rebuild), a set of rings at 65 hours and nothing else enginewise. I have a check sceduled for 100 hours, doubt it'll even need rings!

• 2 months later...

Dust yourself off and get back on, no harm done.

You sell that bike and then someday you will wish you still had it. Been there done that, I'm on my second Dr cause of that cross road decision that you are trying to make.

I had an 04' that I bought used for a decent price. I farkled it all up and made it mine. I put hours and hours into and LOVED riding it. Layed ot over a couple of times, put some character into it. I sold it one day because I needed some money. I regreted it since. I couldnt find another used one so I ended up dropping 5k on a new bone stock DR650. And I was hapy to do it. I missed my first one so much, I couldn't wait to get another one.

But do what you gotta do.