Sign in to follow this  

Starting Problems

Just got a '94 xr250l and it's having starting issues. It takes dozens of kicks to get it to start up, but after a few seconds it dies. I've replaced the spark plug and I've tried different methods with the choke but it doesn't want to fire up and stay running.

We were able to get it to stay running before I brought it home, but it ran poorly... the throttle wasn't very responsive and it stalled a few times.

Anyone experienced this before or know what could be wrong? Thanks.

Hard starting is often a symptom of the valves need adjusting.

Adjust the valves, clean the filter, replace the gasoline, clean the carb.

Adjusting the air screw can help too.

When in doubt, make the bike really close to "factory". They did the hard part, they got a bunch of metal to run the first time. You just need to replicate what they did.

That's great advise... thanks. Are there any parts I should order before I start in on cleaning the carb and adjusting the valves, like gaskets or anything? Thanks.

Anyone have a PDF manual for the '94 xr250l they can e-mail to me?

That's great advise... thanks. Are there any parts I should order before I start in on cleaning the carb and adjusting the valves, like gaskets or anything? Thanks.

Anyone have a PDF manual for the '94 xr250l they can e-mail to me?

I would get a new spark plug and if your air filter is old and ratty, pick up a new one.

Other than that, you don't need any new parts to do what Kev suggested.

Adjusting the valves and cleaning the carb will probably get you going!

My bike was near impossible to start when I bought it. In fact I couldn't start it, but the previous owner (a younger guy) could, barely.

Turned out the battery was very tired. Not only was it not supplying current for the ignition, it was sucking it up from the alternator. Make sure your battery is healthy.

Since I was looking at the price of a new battery, I eliminated this tired battery, added a capacitor, and put a switch on the two circuits that supply all the lighting. The cold starting is not what I'd call easy, but I can do it. All the current coming out of the alternator is going to the ignition, as long as I remember to turn the switches off.

The above is all good advice. Start with cleaning the carb, and getting a new battery.

Mine takes a LOT of choke. So I have a plastic clamp that holds the choke lever fully up while starting and warming up.

There is a decompression feature on the kick start. You might need to get into a rhythm of 1/2 kick followed by 2 quick kicks.